'91 RR classic ABS light and fun in scotland

Hi all,

So we had fun green laning in North west Scotland (Mallaig) ... (fortunately a friend with a 110 had a winch) we played in mud, on rock, in snow, in forests, etc ect.. all was well until the RR died in a quarry... much messing about in a blizzard couldn't get it to go, so an epic tow back to asphalt, and then 45 miles back to our cottage in a blizzard / dark / no lights to keep the windscreen wipers going...oh and a tow rope that was too short (well too short for my liking). Thank god for the AA ! and a great local garage who didn't fancy a 8 hour trip with our 11 month old -and lent us a courtesy car for free!!!

So it's back home and it turn out to be the dizzy cap... bizarre... the old one is only 12 months old, but was only putting 5 kv at the plugs when the new one puts 30 there!!!! there is not even any visible damage.

So it's running again and now has a new problem::: The ABS light does not go out when driving away. I can here the pump come on and go off as and when its required, and have tried locking up the wheels and unplugging the abs ecu under the near side (UK) seat hoping something would reset.

Can someone suggest some fault finding tests I can perform this weekend. Also, can someone describe the procedure for checking the senders at the wheels - is this easy? is there anything I need to watch out for?

rgds

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Maybe you've dislogded or bunged up with crud one or more of the ABS sensors. I don't know what they look like on the RR but on a Cavalier I had they were pretty obvious once you had the wheels off. They need to be set with an exact clearance between the sensor and the rotor. Also could it be crud in the electrical connections?

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around Tue, 6 Jan 2004 21:46:36 -0000, "Tom" enlightened us thusly:

sounds like a fun day.

senders are easily damaged IME. That's probably your most likely fail point anyway, assuming the self-test at startup shows normal results.

I'd favour taking it to a dealer and getting them to test it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles