95 disco "dead" should I use dealer or other shop?

My wife just called complaining about the steering being difficult, sounded to me like it was cavitating/pump problems. A few minutes later I get a call saying that there was a "horrible" noise from underneath, it wont move and and putting it in park wont hold it.

The long and short of this is it needs towing somewhere, I live about

230 km's from the nearest dealer (Edmonton AB) and all there is locally is a ford and dodge dealer. I think my autoclub membership will tow it to the LR dealer, but I'm wondering if this is the type of thing that a local shop can handle, or am I better off going to the dealer?

Also, I know this is going to hurt $$$ wise, anyone got an idea what a trans will set me back? I'm pretty sure it was actually replaced not long before we bought it about a year ago, but I dont think it was by a dealer and will have to dig out the paperwork, so in any case I'm preparing myself for worst case scenario...

thanks in advance...

Reply to
GS

On or around Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:13:05 GMT, GS enlightened us thusly:

uh-oh...

might of course be something (relatively) simple like a half shaft or propshaft or somesuch. If it's still running, try moving it with the difflock engaged...

visual check for disconnected propshaft would be a good idea first, I suppose.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks for the reply...

Just talked to my wife on the phone, the towing guy can't figure out how to tow it (big surprise here) but says that it will drive with the difflock in, which could be good news I s'pose...

I told her to have him read the manual and see how to put the TC in neutral, and if he had ANY doubt to call someone that KNEW something before he moved it.

I'll keep ya posted...

Reply to
GS

I'd suspect the rear Diff or half shaft. He Should be able to put the transfer box in neutral but the Handbrake and park if it is the diff or half shaft will be u/s.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Just for clarification I'm thinking rear diff.

Undoing the rear prop ( 8 nuts and bolts ) and driving to the Landrover agent with diff lock engaged should be feasible. Again assuming it's what I think it is. To be certain jack up the rear axle (having first chocked the front wheels good and proper) and try turning both wheels forwards at the same time with the handbrake on. If they turn anything more than the ususal slack then its as suspected. If the wheels turn against each other only with the hand brake on then sounds like the Diff is ok.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I seem to recall you can't tow it without removing one or both of the prop shafts, unless you want to completely knacker it, or is that just Range Rovers of a certain age?

Reply to
Warwick Barnes

The tow truck guy ended up going and getting his deck unit, so I'm just waiting to hear from the local Ford dealer on what they have or have not found....

Reply to
GS