95 Disco V8i XS Ignition Problems

Can anyone help with ideas... for the second time after being 'fixed' by the garage, my disco continues to fail.... symptoms are engine hunts between up and down to about 1500 rpm, gradually gets slower and slower then dies. If I put it in gear, its an auto, it dies almost immediately! Apparently the coil, amplifier module and rotor arm have been replaced, but I feel they are inferior parts. Have decided to fix the problem myself .... then I will know exactly what parts have been changed and with what.

Any pointers to get me going would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Steve C

I had the exact same fault on my 110 many years ago, 3.5 V8 fitted with the

35DLM8 dizzy, it was the dizzy amplifier module on the side. I replaced the module with an allegedly new one and it ran ok cold but when it got hot it misfired at 2500rpm + or - 200rpm, but ok either side - weird!! Replaced module again and it has been fine ever since. That dizzy is still on my 110, but now on a 4.0 engine. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

On or around Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:01:59 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

I'd check the fuel side out - There's always that pesky idle speed thing...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'd echo what Badger has said. Warren cursed at my Disco for several hours before fitting a third ignition amp - the one off mine and his 'known good one' both tested fine on his tester, but only the third bugger actually stopped it hunting and losing power.

I've also had a visibly perfect rotor arm cause problems. They are cheap enough to replace regardless.

Don't pay stupid LR money for ignition amps - they want £100+ plus vat. Factors will do them for about 20 odd quid.

I think your amp will be behind the coil, not on the dizzy.

Also check the stepper motor (on the plenum chamber). Worth cleaning out, as they can cause problems. The garage should have been able to test this however, but well worth looking at.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:07:07 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

I've had a visibly-good rotor arm kill the thing stone dead, by shorting through to the post in the middle, buggrit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks all, I'm learning lots..... I didn't realize how much I didn't know !

Reply to
cpw8inp4

So Tim Hobbs was, like

Just did a full service on the series, and a brand new rotor arm disintegrated on the first turn of the starter. Took me ages to find why she wouldn't start, because I had just replaced the rotor arm with a brand new one, so I looked everywhere but inside the dizzy for the problem.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Having spoken with Steve today it doesnt sound like stepper motor - the symptons are far too "sudden stop" - I know when I cleaned the stepper (and replaced) on my rangie it was more of a lumpy idle issue rather that the rough running with sudden stop that Steve has had on the disco

Si

Reply to
Si K

On or around Mon, 7 Feb 2005 19:30:41 -0000, "Si K" enlightened us thusly:

must look at the stepper motor on mine. It has a habit of deciding to idle at 1500-2000 revs, sometimes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles