95 Discovery 4 wheel drive

How does this 4 wheel drive work? I've noticed it's an "H" pattern and 2 wheel drive is on the bottom right of the "H". And 4 wheel high is left lower "H", 4 wheel low being left upper "H". What the heck does right upper "H" do?? Feels like it is in 4 wheel low drive to me, or is it 2 wheel low????

Joe

Reply to
joe

Discoverys are 4WD only - there is no 2WD option.

Using your 'H' pattern, bottom right is high ratio no central diff-lock, bottom left is high ratio with central diff-lock, top right is low ratio no central diff-lock and top left is low ratio with central diff-lock. All of this should be on a sticker just above the transfer lever - yours must be missing!

Remember to only drive with the diff-lock engaged on slippy surfaces or the transmission will wind up.

HTH.

Reply to
Exit
4WD only - there is no 2WD option.

I'm sort of confused, what is central diff-lock???? Is this 4 wheel drive always?

I've had 4 wheel drives before but not like this. All that I've ever had are either 2 wheel or 4 wheel depending on what position you've chosen. The sticker is on my Discovery but it doesn't make sense about the diff-lock.

Reply to
joe

The Discovery is permanant four wheel drive - all four wheels are always being driven regardless of what else your're doing.

The centre diff lock is designed to be used if you're in a situation where one wheel is spinning. On a 4wd without it all the power will go to the one wheel which has no traction due to the action of the centre differential. With that locked there's a 50/50 split of power between the front and the rear and so a single spinning wheel can't stop you dead.

Pushing the range selection lever to the left will engage the difflock in either high or low range.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

That explains why the vehicle drove in snow so well then. I had a chance to take it out once when it snowed and couldn't believe how well it handled, and I never locked the diff. I thought it was in 2 wheel drive, guess not.

If you've got the diff-lock on does it act weird going around a turn?

Joe

Reply to
joe

On or around Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:48:07 -0400, "joe" enlightened us thusly:

you shouldn't use the diff lock in dry conditions, it can wind up the transmission, causing extra tyre wear or even breaking things.

on slippery surfaces, one wheel will slip a bit.

On series LRs, there's no centre diff, hence the 2WD and 4WD thing - same rules apply, only use 4WD on slippery surfaces.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It does act weird going around a turn with the diff lock on - it feels like rather a lot of understeer, at any rate on a slippery surface. On a non- slippery surface the tyres scrub and bounce.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Mortimer

OK, now I understand a lot more. So for paved roads that aren't slippery I need the right side of the "H" pattern. For off road and slippery conditions the left side of the "H".

Joe

Reply to
joe

On or around Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:47:38 -0400, "joe" enlightened us thusly:

's about it. Using low range and 1st gear is great for pissing off ordinary cars in traffic jams, too - on a manual box in particular, you can pootle along at idle at about 1.5 mph, which ordinary (manual) cars can't do without stopping and starting.

On one occasion with my old SII, I put it going like this, opened the door, got out and walked alongside it...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You do that too? :)

I've seen various episodes of putting a LR in low reverse, getting out and running round it before getting back in. Mainly in car parks though, rather than on main roads.

Reply to
David French

I used to do it quite often in my 90 when laning - jump out, run and open gate, watch LR pootle through gate, close gate and jump back in. Only a good idea where there are constant ruts to steer the motor though! :)

Reply to
Exit

On or around Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:51:24 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

however, note that an auto can go faster than you expect in low reverse at idle.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles expelled:

Voice of experience Austin? How far did you have to run?

Reply to
EMB