95 Discovery Remote Fobs

Hi All

Could some kind soul help me with a fob problem? My only fob has packed up and wont let me in the vehicle. I have the emergency access code, but the syncronisation bit on the reverse is missing.

Can anyone tell me the procedure for the final bit.

And can you program a new fob in this manner (I have been lead to believe you can), any help appreciated.

Reply to
Paul Tasker

My 95 disco has the single button type fob and I've just read the original owners handbook. According to it "If both handsets are lost or damaged when the system is armed, a new electronic control unit will have to be fitted". I'm curious abut the emergency access code as my handbook doesn't mention that, so maybe you have a different type. Good luck Graham

Reply to
Graham Bowers

On or around Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:43:46 +0100, Graham Bowers enlightened us thusly:

later alarm system, I think. on yours, you can disarm it by unlocking it with the key in the driver's door.

I think the point about the early one is that the remotes are keyed to the unit and you can't replace them, except by replacing the base unit. BICBW.

BTW, the early ones take 2 CR2016s each, IIRC. If the hazard lights do one long flash instead of 3 short ones when you arm it, it's telling you the remote batteries are low.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have the manual and CD at home, but won't be there for a while. I'll post back later. Think I have the instructions in a text file already as I've posted this before, but maybe three years ago. ;)

Reply to
Paul-xxx mobile

Hi Austin

If I unlock the drivers door with the key, then open the door, it sings big time!!

Reply to
Paul Tasker

On or around Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:30:50 +0100, "Paul Tasker" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, well, yours is obviously a different one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As requested .... couldn't get home so had son No1 email it to me. ;)

From 1996/97 300 Tdi Discovery Owners Manual

Locks and Alarm.

Engine Immobilisation Override (entering the emergency key access code)

If the handset is lost or fails to operate, the engine can be re-mobilised by using the key to enter a unique four digit emergency key access code. The code is recorded on the Security Information Card and is entered as follows:

IMPORTANT: ENSURE each key movement is carried out with care and precision and turned through the full extent of its travel.

After turning the key to either the lock or unlock positions, make sure it is FULLY returned to the centre (vertical) position.

If a digit is entered incorrectly, the WHOLE code can be cancelled by returning to operation '1' and starting again.

1.. Using the key. Turn the drivers door lock clockwise to the LOCK position and hold in this position for at least 5 seconds. Then return the key to the centre position. It is now possible to enter the separate numerical values of the four digits that make up the emergency key access code.

2.. Enter the first digit of the code. If the first digit is 4, turn the key (anti-clockwise) to the UNLOCK position 4 times. Ensure the key is returned fully to the centre position after each turn of the key.

3.. Enter the second digit of the code. If the second digit is 3, turn the key to the LOCK position 3 times. Remember the key must be fully returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.

4.. Enter the third digit of the code. If the third digit is 2, turn the key to the UNLOCK position twice, ensuring that the key is fully returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.

5.. Enter the Fourth digit of the code. If the fourth digit is 1 turn the key to the LOCK position once. Ensure the key is fully returned to the centre position after the key has been turned.

6.. FINALLY, turn the key to the UNLOCK position once more to disarm the alarm and re-mobilise the engine. If the code has been entered successfully, the anti-theft alarm indicator light on the instrument panel will extinguish and the engine can be started.

If an incorrect code has been entered the sounder will bleep twice and the anti-theft alarm indicator light will continue to flash. In this case, return to '1' and re-enter the code.

After three failed entry attempts, the security system invokes a delay period of thirty minutes during which the system will not accept any further attempts to enter a code.

NOTE: Once the engine immobiliser has been deactivated by entering the emergency key access code, it will remain inactive until a handset is used to lock the vehicle.

Hope it helps. ;)

Reply to
Paul-xxx mobile

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info. I have done this. On my card there is text that says to synchronise the fob see overleaf, but it is blank. If I lock the door after starting the engine, the system automatically arms itself.

Its the syncro bit I could do with!

Reply to
Paul Tasker

This is from the RRC manual - the same single button fob, I think.

"If the handset is operated more than four times outside the vehicle range (6 metres)or the power supply is removed, it will be necessary to re-synchronise the handset and the ECU by pressing the handset three times within range and within 5 seconds"

There is also another long-winded procedure to initialise a new handset to the ECU. It's never worked for me! I can't find it at the moment - hopefully that's not what you're needing.

Reply to
Dougal

Hi Dougal

That is what I am looking for, but mine is the two button fob.

Reply to
Paul Tasker

Ah! Pity.

Reply to
Dougal

RAVE says for the 2 button '96 remote "to resynchronise press either button four times in quick succession" it also says new handsets can be added with TestBook.

HTH

Reply to
Wafty

Looking through the same Owners Handbook the only reference to synchronisation I found is from when a handset has had a battery replaced and all it says to do is...

"Unlock the vehicle using the key, then operate the lock button of the handset at least four times. The handset is now ready for use."

Reply to
Paul-xxx mobile

Hi Rave

What is "TestBook"?

Reply to
Paul Tasker

err RAVE is the "Rover Advanced Viewing Environment" or summat like. It is the workshop manuals for most LR products on CD. Try googling for "green oval joomla" . Get yerself a copy of Microcat while you are at it. That's the dealers parts catalogue.

TestBook is the LR dealers computer based diagnostic equipment. There are alternatives like Rovacom etc.

Reply to
Wafty

Many Thanks

Reply to
Paul Tasker

Ta. Been away a few days. I did have a minor epic a couple of weeks ago when the fob didn't want to play ball but it played in the end.I need to understand this fully however. Cheers Graham

Reply to
Graham Bowers

Hi All

The saga continues. Got a good deal on two new fobs from a dealership (staff discount). And also bought one off ebay. Took said disco to dealership for testbook programming, £88 per hour!! 45 mins later, tech man says disco wont talk to equipment! I ask what next? could look into it. How long? dunno, 1 hour 1day who knows! £88 per hour? yes! Forget it!!

Took disco away no charge.

Tinkering away at home. Unplug both connectors from ecu and it sings for more than the 20 second alarm duration. Plug it back in as no to annoy the neighbours, and lo and behold the old remote now works!!! £88 per hour!!!

Can I do the programming on the cheap to of the new fobs??

Anyone with any info?

Thanks

Reply to
Paul Tasker