96 Disco clutch problem - help please

Driving home last night, my clutch stopped working. The pedal only moves half the normal distance with only the resistance of the pedal spring return, I am therefore unable to disengage the clutch. There is no apparent loss of fluid and the resevoir is full. If the seals had gone in the master or slave, then surely the pedal would go to the floor so I'm confused. Any ideas please?

Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony

Broken clutch fork is likely.

Reply to
EMB

I agree clutch fork gone so new clutch is only real answer Out of interest, I looked in to cost for my 300tdi 90 and Mr Clutch seemed quite competitive I have not yet had to replace but 160000 miles is coming up so sooner or later !!

Out of interest, has anyone had experience of them

Reply to
Julian Pollard

How much was your quote from Mr Clutch? Have you read the reviews on the web - rather scary!

Reply to
Tony

I wonder where the OP Lives

I had mine done 12 months back using a fairly local garage

£300.00 for labour and all the bits and pieces

Left it at 4PM and collected it 36 hours later all done and dusted

I was quoted £150.00 inc vat for all the bits and pieces

So I don't think the labour charge was over the top

Reply to
DieSea

From memory the quote was around the £500 mark I had not read reviews until the suggestion just made and having done so will not be going anywhere near them

Many thanks for the warning !!!

Reply to
Julian Pollard

OOps Sorry about the top posting

Mea Culpa

I wonder what county or how far off Manchester you are

Reply to
DieSea

OOps Sorry about the top posting

Mea Culpa

I wonder what county or how far off Manchester you are

Reply to
Julian Pollard

A bit far to travel then

Mine was done last year because it was slipping slightly

All have to do now is sort an intermittent problem with the immobilizer

Now off to have a look on Google

Reply to
DieSea

You may wish to read this .. (I hope that I've got the model right!)

Dougal

"Dougal" wrote

Dougal

A thousand and more thanks

Just what I was looking for

The engine died on my way home late on Friday night

It would crank and not fire

So after 10 mins I tried again and no luck

Called Green Flag

After another 10 mins tried again and it fired

Cancelled GF

I knew I had seen the article some where but I was still looking for it when your email arrived

Printed it out and saved the URL will pass it on

THANKS AGAIN

Reply to
DieSea

I had the same problem, followed instructions on that website - completely fixed the problem and saved myself lots of money in the process. Tony

Reply to
Tony

I had the same problem, followed instructions on that website - completely fixed the problem and saved myself lots of money in the process. Tony

Thanks Tony

I saw the article a year or two back and was going through Google

Its only happened once

I've saved it again , this time on a CD as well

I can manage the soldering bit ( under a magnifying glass !! )

But the dexterity / patience to get it out of the dash might be different

Reply to
DieSea

Mine only did it once then after a long time started doing it more frequently - especially as I was going along - used to worry about overtaking anything in case it cut out! Tony

Reply to
Tony

Mine only did it once then after a long time started doing it more frequently - especially as I was going along - used to worry about overtaking anything in case it cut out! Tony

Hi Tony

I was talking to a friend Tuesday night who has a TDI 300 he's using for donor parts

I think I've persuaded him to part with his immobiliser for a few green shield stamps

If this is the case I'll do a pre-emptive repair on the dry joints

My local spanner man (!) reckoned he could replace the unit without and problems

He reckoned who ever did the instructions had done them VERY well

Thanks again

Reply to
DieSea

Just had clutch repaired - yes the clutch fork had broken through in the middle as you thought. Was quoted =A3500 + vat from MM 4x4, =A3500 inc vat from my local garage but got it done for =A3260 no vat from an agricultural mechanic near Clee Hill - glad I shopped around! Tony

Reply to
Tony