96 Range Rover Lockout

My battery died when the car was locked. Before it completely died, the remote quit working and the alarm came on whenever I unlocked the door. Putting the key in ignition could not stop the alarm and the message center showed Engine Disabled. After I replaced the battery, I was able to open the door without triggering the alarm. Everything seemed to work except that the engine wouldn't start even if there's no "Engine Disabled" message. I think I just need the Emergency Key Access code to override the immobilizer. Both Landrover and the local dealer claimed that they don't have the code for me to try. The only option left is to tow the car to the dealer and let them charge $200+ to reset the immobilizer. Believe or not, the next appointment is a week from tomorrow. Anyone knows a generic EKA code or has any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Leo

Reply to
liul

Disconnect the battery on the car, then lock all the doors manually.

remove the battery from the fob, press the buttons a few times, to get rid of any residual current in the fob.

If it has a bonnet switch for the alarm, wedge that down so it thinks the bonnet is shut, then reconnect the car battery.

Replace the battery in the fob, press lock 3 times, press unlock once, the doors should unlock and the car should start as normal.

Reply to
SimonJ

Your dealer can get the code for you.

I wanted the code for the immobiliser in my 110, and was told by Land Rover to go and see my nearest dealer with some proof of ownership. So along I went with my log book which I presented to the dealer, she went off and tapped the VIN number into their computer and printed off all the numbers they had, key numbers, immob code, etc.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Tried the procedure this morning and failed. I might not have wedged down the bonnet switch correctly. I will try it again once I confirm where the bonnet switch is. Thanks.

Reply to
liul

That sequence has always worked for me, but have never tried it on something that new.

according to Autodata, to reset the keyfob on that model, press the unlock button, then unlock the doors manually. That only refers to the central locking/remote alarm though, not sure if it will reset the immobiliser.

Reply to
SimonJ

Just want to put a closure on this. It cost me $210 to have the car reprogrammed. The problem happened because the battery died when the car was in the $uplerlock mode. I was told that the EKA code does not apply to the North America models. One may consider this is a hidden security feature not disclosed by Land Rover. I guess I have to consider I was luck that the problem didn't happen when I was 200 miles away from the dealer. I have learned not to lock or at least not to $uperlock my car.

Reply to
liul