'99 Disco stereo clipping! Replace amp?

My '99 Disco has the upgraded stereo system from Harmen Karden and with volume up I get a bunch of clipping. Stereo shop wanted $1500 to replace the speakers and amp and add a new sub. Can't I use the existing set up and get a better amp?

Reply to
Shabby

I had a similar problem in my 90. Stereo had to be turned up so far when driving the sound was clipped and crap.

To solve the problem I cut the speaker wires, dropped an amp in and hey presto problem solved.

I was then told that to do the job right i should use "low level" connetcors to the amp - phono outs on the stereo and phono in's on the amp, then use normal speaker wire to speakers from amp. Job's really sorted now!

Not that it makes any difference but I have a Sony head unit and JBL

75.4 amp

Short answer therefore should be YES!

Jon

Reply to
Jon

My 2001 DII sounds clean and fine flat out. It also has the multiple amps under the passgener seat and speakers all over the place. It's not badged Harmen Karden though...

I wouldn't expect clipping with a standard install have any of the units been changed? Different rdaio or CD changer?

Might be worth checking the supply voltage, at the amp and under load. It'll sag a bit on loud sections but I would be susicious of anything over a volt. Look for a corroded or badly mated connector, Similary the voltage at the earth return shouldn't float up much either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice