'99 Disco tailgate latch woes!

My recent purchase of my first ever Landy has me scratching my head over some bizare door latch behavior. First it was the right rear passenger door that wouldn't open and I remedied by wedging a tool to lift the child lock and then removed the liner to lubricate the latch system. Now with that door fixed, the tailgate won't open.

It seems there is no load on the inside or outside levers, they just lift with no resistance as though there is a child lock on them as well. I removed the liner and can't really see whats wrong. As I await my manual to arrive I plead for any wisdom that someone might share.TIA

Bananaramma

Try putting the door key in the lock barrel from the outside and turn fully anticlockwise then (without letting the key turn back) lift the lever.

If it opens normally then I suggest that a small spring in the lock/lever mechanism has either become displaced or snapped - just like mine.

If this doesn't happen, then I can't help I'm afraid.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob Sinclair

Prize off the rear landrover logo off the rear door handle with a knife or small flat screwdriver - put ure finger in the hole where you have taken the logo off you will feel a lever/bar type thingy - push it in ( or pull it out) depending where its got stuck and then open the door. you need to lube the mechanism from the same hole for it not to happen again, but don't use WD40 as it will dry out and seize up the mechanism, I used Superlube Teflon lube ( courtesy of work) and its been fine since.

PS don't worry about the badge it clips on not sticks on so you can pop it back, a LR dealer would do the above and charge you about £70 for the privilege!!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
StaffBull

In news:ctreno$bjm$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk, StaffBull blithered:

Doesn't sound awfully secure!

Reply to
GbH

Reply to
StaffBull

On or around Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:55:29 -0000, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

I put spray grease on mine. Also got tuits to do the window tracks with silicone stuff, makes 'em, go up and down much better. In fact, with the little tube, you can get at the pivots (which are mostly where it sticks) from underneath the handle. Might be easier as described though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Bob, Unfortunately there is no lock barrel on the tailgate on these.

Bananaramma

Hi Staffbull, I did pry the logo off the other day and (shudder) sprayed a bit o wd40 in the lever hole but to no avail. Interesting though, as the lever doesn't seem stuck, it seems totally free but doesn't feel as though it's engaged (connected) to anything and maybe has come unatached from the actual latch. I will poke around some more tomorrow.

My wife isn't overly impressed that we parked the roomy Isuzu Trooper to buy this and now she has to put groceries in through the back seat. Oh well, it drives like heaven and one can't deny that!

Reply to
Bananaramma

Did you spray the lever hole on the inside? if it is then you need to take off the land rover logo on the rear door as I explained on the outside this creates a hole you can access the mechanism as described

Reply to
StaffBull

Thanks for the tips all. It finally started working again as I followed your advice Staffbull and pulled the logo. I think it may have taken a bit for the WD-40 to penetrate. I have sinse got some silicone lube and sprayed the mechanisms to fend off any further moisture,(hopefully). Thanks all for the advice

Bananaramma

On or around Sat, 05 Feb 2005 09:52:29 -0800, Bananaramma enlightened us thusly:

Silicone lube is ace for window tracks. Done all ours, windows now go up and down much more nicely.

I used spray-on grease for the door hinges etc., but not the locks.

Reply to
Austin Shackles