a bit OT - 4x4 transits

Anyone had experience of the county conversion transits?

do they have a low range box like a landy, or not?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin,

some bumph here....

Lee_D

On or around Sun, 15 May 2005 20:56:11 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

coo, well hunted. It does indeed have a T-box. excellent... now all I have to do is find lots of money :-(

Anyone wanna buy a disco?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'm wanting an auto 3.9 V8 ES with lpg and RPI bits that should soon be coming up for sale locally but the problem is I have no reason to want to get rid of the RAV4. It's not as if it is a bag of s**te or has been anything but reliable and fun to drive, also, as it is Our Lass who uses it the most she has the final word on it. She says I have enough Land Rovers to choose from at the moment anyway, the fact that most of them are sorned didn't make any difference to my argument, likewise my comment that the ones that are on the road are probably among the most impractical Land Rovers to use anyway.

Bugger.

Still, could always put it in Autotrader anyway and see if anyone comes along.

Reply to
wayne

hmm, as soon as some money turns up I'm also after a 3.9 auto with LPG..

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

The local MEB depot used to have a couple - much liked by the crews

- on the rare occasions they were on the road............

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I know a dude that had one......... for three weeks, then the pikeys nicked it never to be seen again.

Reply to
Angus McCoatup©

On or around Sun, 15 May 2005 22:26:13 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

semi-serious: I Have actually found a '96 4x4 tranny minibus advertised, so if anyone *does* wanna buy it...

  • 1991 H
  • 3.5i / LPG
  • 110K miles, ish
  • 5 LR alloys
  • almost-new Avon Ranger ATs x4 (about 1000 miles on 'em)
  • recon gearbox about 5K miles ago max., plus cross-drilled T-box gear
  • full set of LR seatcovers (not for the folding jump seats though), one slightly torn
  • full set LR rubber mats
  • 80-l LPG tank under-floor, range about 180 miles on 64l of LPG
  • approx 8-gall replacement petrol tank in wing, gives about 120 miles at least.
  • both fuel systems fully operating.
  • fuel cost on LPG comparable with a TDi.
  • front pads getting a bit thin, but I have replacements in a box ready to fit.
  • body and chassis excellent for the age. a couple of slight dents and scratches, back floor OK. It'll need welding by the Starboard rear door catch point for the next MOT (due in June sometime), Portside done last year. Rear floor is a bit rusty but still sound, no actual holes :-). Sunroof leaks now cured, as i hope is one by one of the alpine lights.

This motor is doing about 80 miles per day with me, and is maintained accordingly. All the bits and pieces work, except for one rear speaker. The idle-speed stepper motor sometimes lets it idle too fast, but it goes back to normal if you turn the engine off and restart it.

I guess it ought to fetch about £2500 - there's a very tidy low mileage one the same age but no LPG on ebay ATM with bidding at 2300+

Reply to
Austin Shackles

5 door?

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Feck orft, I saw 'er first...

Reply to
wayne

Got passeed by an MPi Disco claiming to be LPG converted last night. If it wasn't for the fact that I was driving down the M62 at the time I may well have phoned the number and bought the thing.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

The wife is pushing me towards something a bit newer (3.9 kinda age) but I'm tempted. I don't have any cash yet though. oh and I was thinking auto.. hmm

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

On or around Tue, 17 May 2005 09:09:19 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

join the club...

hehe.

gwaannn.. you know you want it :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If it had Aircon I'd be *very* interested.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Tue, 17 May 2005 10:09:45 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

sadly not. Mind, aircon can be a PITA - and only about 6 days a year when it's really hot enough to justify it.

Sister's BF had aircon on his 3.9 rangie, and has disabled it and removed the aircon raidator, it now doesn't overheat when towing.

Bloody 4x4 transit bus I found in autotrader has been sold, buggrit. Mind, it was rather pricey.

Currently contemplating the matter of LDV convoys - muhc better body/chassis than the old LDV400, and using the transit engine/box... quite tempting; and there are a lot out there which is keeping the price of second hand ones down nicely...

I quite like the idea of the Iveco, which can be got with a 2.8 turbo engine, but they seem pretty rare in bus form; there are *some* LDV convoys out there with turbos on, it seems...

Transit would've been number-1 choice, except that they no longer seem to make twin-rear-wheel minibuses, and I prefer 'em like that; also the

15-seater trannies seem to have a ludicrously long wheelbase. There are some short-wheelbase 13-seater convoys, which might be ideal; good combination of space and agility, I spect. One thing I don't know is when they started using the transit gearbox as well as the transit engine, which I *think* came in with the "convoy" model.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

They also do them with a V8 in them :0) and the ones at work go well, certainly fast enough for the school run. You should be able to fit your gas stuff to it as it should have ample space for tanks. Imagine it with a sports system.... yum yum!

Mind you taking my "oh oh gotta have a v8 in it" hat off for a moment, I'd probably get something origional and economical if it's to provide an income. They have more time/pennies to spend building a 6 wheeler Disco for the weekends :0)..... with a v8 in of course.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 18 May 2005 08:31:45 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

unfortunately, the V8 LDVs are mostly the old type, and thin on the ground, being as I think they were a special made for the dibbles.

Mind, The convoy uses a transit engine, so it ought to be possible to fit a

2.9 V6, ex-granada/scorpio; they certainly did 2.9 V6 ambulances in transit form.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles blithered:

Beg to differ, I use my A/C to keep my winders defugged and that's most of the year. Don't confuse A/C with cooling!

Reply to
GbH

My Disco II came with "climate control" but having roasted a few times in recent years didn't object that strongly. Still wanted the sunroof(s) though as they are very effective of getting hot air out of a car quickly.

After playing with the controls and suffering fugged windows when ever it rained I found leaving the fan speed and outlet used under automatic control solved that. But unless I actually get hot, the temperature control stays in ECON, ie A/C compressor off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

does that include the 24v 2.9 V6 cosworth engine? tally ho what what!

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP