A little something for the October weekend?

Well having missed out on the Shakespere weekend I've found myself trawling for venues for October (bored silly - every one else is in bed asleep .. I love shiftwork NOT)

Anyway would peeps like a trip to Anglesea if one could arrange same?

I understand this site is being created and developed at the moment, they also run paintballing and have camping facilities (i.e. a field!)

Heres some vid produced by one of those involved who is a film maker as well just to wet ones appitite!

Is it just me or does every one need something other than the shows to look forward too? Much as I love them they are getting very samey. I had considered pulling a laning weekend together but given the confusion and uncertainty over the lanes and the high probability of Wedging Morph in a tight bush perhaphs best to explore something like this place.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

[...]

On or around Thu, 27 Apr 2006 01:52:15 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

I could fancy Anglesea. It's also within striking distance of Pete's Eats, which is just about the best cafe in the universe.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 27 Apr 2006 01:52:15 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

some of that looks rather like hard work, and more damaging than some of us would like. Provided they have a good variety of more mundane stuff...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yeah that was what I thought but the Disco was apparently damaged prior to the day. The group featured were actually at the request of the site owners making lanes / tracks given it's a new venture and have been invited over the next few weeks to attend with free entry on account of the work they are putting in to opening up some tracks so while I'm assured no damage was actually caused to any of the vehicles I'd certainly be keen to go and do a reccy if they quote a fair price. I have emailed the organiser with a query of the sort of thing the "group" look for and last years prices for the weekend as an idea. May come to diddly but worth exploring none the less... besides which it's a beautiful area also.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Personally I reckon somewhere ought to offer something other than the totally bog standard mud, trees and troughs fare that makes up every single off-road site I've ever been to. I'd like to see;

  • trenches of differing widths to try crossing
  • rocky paths of differing difficulty
  • logs of various sizes fixed down to practice crossing
  • erm..
  • naked ladies

Any other ideas?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

They won't allow anything too interesting - insurance and all that..

The best bet is to either join a club that has "parctice" days, or get a group together and hire a site directly. Some land owners will insist that you are a club or similar (insurance again), but some won't. Avoid over-used sites (e.g. Biggin Quarry near Ashbourne) as they are a bit dull.

Naked ladies is a tad more difficlt.... especially in winter.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

[..]

Although I agree, it's hard work to build, for example, sand courses partly due to the cost, partly as our sand isn't the same as Sahara sand. I did some snow driving a few years ago which was actually far easier than I expected (whacking great studs in the tyres helps).

I do get a bit tired of the same mud traps, fords and tree stages - especially as most courses which involve woods are designed for something a tad lower than a 101 ambi.

Rock stages are dangerous for 'play' sites and can rip tyres to shreds very quickly.

Now, a nekid wimin stage could be good...

Reply to
Mother

I belong to a local rights-of-way club who have access to some private land from a friendly farmer, they did a day there recently but it was the usual mud, trees, water and chap-with-new-V8-revving-nuts-off-and blowing-the-diff affair. I was going to bring up the idea of trenches etc at the next meeting.

Naw, in the winter they're just grateful for something warm to drink.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Big rocks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

The good thing about rocky courses is that they don't tend to degrade much, they tend to degrade the vehicles more than anything else. They also stop the idiots who've just got their first off-roader and belt around like a mad thing thinking it's a tank (as I did on my first off-road site). Obviously you need to strike a balance between making it too easy and too hard.

Trenches should be easy to make if you have access to a digger, my ROW group hired one some time ago for a particularly troublesome clearance. How you stop them caving in I'm not so sure. They don't need to be deep either, I'd make them about 1-2 foot deep depending on width and hard-bottomed to help with jacking.

Logs are logs, a few stakes in the ground to fix them down should be easy enough. I reckon that'll be the first thing I'll put to my local group given that there were logs lying around on the site we used recently, just drag them out and fix them down somehow to make sure they don't roll out when the V8 nutter puts his foot down (hopefully he won't be there, or will be a bit calmer, next time).

That's one of the reasons I didn't consider getting a 101 or a mog, can't green lane in them.

Buyer beware. For a real rock stage, where you risk tipping the vehicle, you'd need the right gear but for a pay 'n' play site it can be much milder stuff. I've only ever been to one site that had about

10 axle-twisting potholes dug in a row, even something that simple is fun but also almost always completely absent.

Drive between lines of 'em and see how far you get before having to stop ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That was the idea behind different difficulty rocky paths, some can be done in a stock landy and won't risk diff breaking or tipping, some need spotting to protect the diffs, others need proper roll cage and other truck mods to manage. Insurance probs might mean that the harder one has to go. Tyre damage is usually a function of the right foot so that's up to the driver.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

|| Well having missed out on the Shakespere weekend I've found myself || trawling for venues for October (bored silly - every one else is in || bed asleep .. I love shiftwork NOT) || || Anyway would peeps like a trip to Anglesea if one could arrange same? || || I understand this site is being created and developed at the moment, || they also run paintballing and have camping facilities (i.e. a || field!) || || Heres some vid produced by one of those involved who is a film maker || as well just to wet ones appitite! || ||

Anglesey is good for us. (Sir Fôn for our Welsh readers.) Yeah, why not?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Richard Brookman uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Also found a site at Ruthin, only 15 Acres mind but undulating woodland. Exploring the camping options there. Chap who runs it also organises lane trips at a cost with the option of B+B's too. Hoping to get some ball park figures soon.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D