A rumble in the jungle (not quite a front wheel probably!)

All,

For a while I had a vibration (speed related) in what I think is the front axle area. It would last for about a 1/4 mile then go totally. I thought nothing of it at the time.

Since then it has become permanent and now more prevalent at 30-40mph. On a smooth road with the car coasting there is a definite vibration through the floor.

I have replaced one tyre (and had it balanced) I have also swapped tyres around and it has made no difference.

I have jacked up each front wheel in turn and I can detect no noise or roughness in the wheel bearings (although I am no expert!) Also, the vibration doesn't disappear in braking (which it has done when it has been a wheel bearing on other cars).

There is some play in the front driveshaft (isn't there normally) but I can't see how that could cause it.

The drop arm is tight (that was causing problems 12 months ago and was loctited!

All other bushes look OK (but again I am no expert.

This is no shimmy, but a definite "thump, thump, thump" through the floor when driving.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

How fast is the "thump, thump", is it every wheel revolution? A distorted tyre casing. Or is it the propshaft just as you are slowing down to walking speed? A rusted (tight) prop joint can sound like that, best to remove prop and see if there's any tightness in the joints.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

UJ's ... Universal Joints. Two on each propshaft, any one of them going gives the same symptoms. If they're _really_ worn you should be able to see the movement by moving the propshaft by hand.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Remove them both, then go for a drive and see if it is still there :)

My money is on a UJ.

A good prod with the handbrake off will show any looseness.

Make sure the handbrake is off when you check the back one, of there will be tesion in the UJ's and you'll never find any play.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Thanks for the advice.

New UJs on order. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Well worth considering one of these

. I've doneUJ's twice without and once with the tool, and wouldn't even try itwithout the tool now unless it was desperate. If you're close enough to Doncaster I could lend you mine for a couple of days ... but it stays in the Landie toolkit, and we're off to France from 9th, so I'd need it back sharpish ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Thanks for the suggestion and offer. I'm in Wiltshire, so not terribly close!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I have something similar but different. When reversing I get rythmic sort of drive, sort of lurching, but regular. Only when reversing though. I had the same on a previous Landy too, never did figure it out.Wonder if this is UJ related too?

Reply to
GbH

Thanks for the URL it WILL prove useful

Reply to
DieSea

Possibly. Also consider an over-adjusted, possibly very oily, handbrake.

Reply to
Dougal

Thanks for the suggestion and offer. I'm in Wiltshire, so not terribly close!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
Roberts

.....now you tell me!

After I've bought the replacement UJs!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

That was the my first guess.

Reply to
GbH

I though your problem was at speed and forwards, not walking pace and backwards!

Reply to
GbH

Alan, forward them to me, and I'll put them up somewhere for you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Geoff's problem, not yours Peter!

For yours, I'm with the UJ group but I'd have had the prop. off for a look before shelling out the pennies. But I think you'll end up using the UJs anyway.

Reply to
Dougal

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:25:26 +0100, "Roberts" wrote this gibberish:

upload them to flickr or some such site

Reply to
MarkVarley - MVP

Have a look at