Adding Roof rails

How easy is it to add roof rails to a Discovery 300 series. (ie the fixed longitudinal rails, not crosswise bars)

I've seen them on t'bay, but wondered how easy it was to fit them.

Obviously one needs to drop the headlining, but it it then obvious where to drill the roof panel? (ie pre-positioned braces etc) or is it a completely different roof panel?

Is is just a case of bolting them down?

MW

Reply to
mike whiskey

Hi mike

I bought a kitset disco where the roof bars had been removed, dammed If I know how or why...

Anyway, it is a bit more than just bolt on, they bolt into a cup in the roof, not that you need too

Yes there is some reinforcing around the hole on the inside, but I need to take my headlining down to really see....

Sort of some help...

Why not just use the type that clamp onto the gutter, or will that not work 'cause of the thick sealer that is in the gutter, yes I have seen them for the disco..

Max

Reply to
max

I've just fitted the extended roof rail add on kit to my Disco II, that involved drilling two 34mm holes in the roof. The support for the rails is actually under the roof skin, the rails (Series II at least) have a 30mm round part that passes through the roof skin and bolts to the strengthening member below. Supplied in the kit was a metal guide which is held underneath the hole, a pilot 4mm hole is drilled up through tis guide which centralises the drill bit, so the hole is dead central. From above you then drill the 34mm hole with a hole saw. Did get some funny looks from the neighbours while brandishing a hole saw on top of the car!

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler