Advice on rural RR

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here knows enough about Range Rover model numbers and features (in the USA) to help me here.

I've decided that a 2002 style Range Rover HSE 4.6 would be the best next vehicle for me. Here are some consideratings that lead me to that. Any comments welcome: 1) I have a five hour trip to my home in the mountains A) three hours are at 70-85 mph on an InterState B) two hours on a twisty rural highway through the mountains (sometimes in light snow, possibility of heavy snow). My reasoning is that the Range Rover would be the most comfortable for this sort of driving and would be well equiped for snow. My current little AWD station wagon handles the Interstate and the twisty road well, but it is noisy and rattles my bones on this sort of long trip.

2) I have a number of acres of wooded land with fire-roads and log skid roads. I have 600 feet of steep driveway and possible thick snow once I get up my driveway. My understanding is that Range Rover is just as capable on rutted and washed our roads (compared to Land Rover Disco, LR Defender, Toyota LandCrusier) as long as you don't get upset about body panel damage. I guess this comes down to underbody clearance and articulation.

Any feedback on my assumptions is welcome.

Then there is the question of which model year would be best for me. In that case I was looking at occasional towing and the best for off-road.

My understanding is that the 1994 through 2002 model years are still frame-on-rail, solid-axles, and that they have a smaller overhang than the earlier models. That sounds good for off-road and towing. If I can afford a 2002 they would tend to have fewer miles; so all things equal I would tend towards that.

Some questions: 1) What years have the most advanced traction control (four wheel)? Traction control sounds like it would be very advantagous in snow and mud. How can I identify a model that has the more complete traction control (on a US model)? 2) What does the tow package option change or add? If I get a RR that had the tow package added, will it be as good off-road as one without the package? (I'm thinking the tow package may make the suspension stiffer in way that doesn't articulate as well.)

Any help would be most welcome.

Yours,

Ed Elhauge

P.S. Anyone local to Northern California with a lead on a dealer that sells used RRs with warranties? Up to now I've been told that Craigslist is the best way to get one.

Reply to
Edward Elhauge

Hi Ed

Not sure I can help you with answeres but there will be somebody along soon who can, but here is a question for you.

Can you please adopt me so I can bring my Landrovers over and come there and play ?

Reply to
Rory