Advice Please

I am thinking about buying a Discovery 300 TDI ES but cant decide whether to go for manual or auto.

Most of my driving is around town, but I do occasionally pull a 25ft caravan.

What do you think ?

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

On or around Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:31:43 +0000 (UTC), "Stuart Adair" enlightened us thusly:

if you're looking at one new enough to have the infamous gearbox output shaft thing solved at the factory (the keywords are "cross-drilled gear" in the transfer box) then it's really a matter of personal choice. Probably a manual will give you an mpg or two more.

The 4-speed auto though is a damn' good box, at makes a very good drive in a LR - I've heard it said that the TDi+auto combo can be slow off the mark - the TDi wants about 2000 revs on it for a fast take-off, so the turbo's doing something useful. Really new TDi autos may have EDC (Electronic diesel control) in place of the normal mechanical pump, I gather this was remapped for the auto.

manual 'box discos before about erm, 97 maybe (someone will know) don't have the 'box mod done at the factory - you need it to have been done really, or sooner or later you're looking at biggish repair bills.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Go for the auto especialy if driving around town, no clutch pedal to keep pressed. Also the auto box is less prone to going wrong. As to pulling a caravan I wouldn't worry, it'll still pull houses down. It is thirstier because of all the toys (air con, electric everything, auto etc).

Peter

300TDi Disco Auto ES
Reply to
Peter Seddon

I bought my disco about a month ago and I went through the same motions making up my mind auto or manual.

I nervously went for the auto because of the reliability issues with the manual.

I must say that I am really pleased and I think it was the right choice. The auto box in this big vehicle around town is the perfect combo.

I only have one reservation, auto box on the green lanes. I've never done that before so I do not know how it will work out off road, but hey new skills to be found (how do you make a controlled descent).

Regards Pete Disco V8i ES auto (with lpg to save my pockets)

Reply to
Highbeam

Just like in a manual. 1st low, feet off, fingers crossed...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:01:26 GMT, "Highbeam" enlightened us thusly:

low-1 and a bit of judicious play between throttle and brakes. low-1 gives significantly less engine braking than on a manual, but it does do a bit. light braking slows it down but be ready to fight the brakes a bit with the throttle to keep the wheels turning if necessary.

or words to that effect...

and watch out for the fact that if the engine stops for any reason, it goes into neutral and rolls...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Left foot on the brakes, it was just starting to go numb through lack of use

are you trying to scare me?

It's working :-\

Pete

Reply to
Highbeam

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh that could be fun.

Cheers me up having just opted for a manual TD5 ES7 over automatic on the basis that autos are so much more complex and thus less reliable...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:31:05 GMT, "Highbeam" enlightened us thusly:

oh, you can do that anyway - 's a handy technique in driving an auto.

hehe. Mind, yer less likely to stall an auto. But you *can* stall an auto, and if you do manage it, it doesn't just grind to a halt and sit there like a manual does.

On *steep* slopes, low-1 doesn't give enough engine braking to go really slowly, like a manual does. Makes it more fun :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Tell that to my mate who was out playing today in a new (to him) auto V6 Pajero. He came whistling past me (Series II, 2nd low, 600 rpm on the Holden 6* and not picking up speed), engine stalled, still in D, eyes the size of dinnerplates, down a very steep slope. He's lucky there was a decent sized clear, flat area at the bottom or his only option was a river! We've just had dinner and a couple of beers and a serious discussion about whether he sells the bloody thing - he would except the whole purpose of buying it is that his athritis is getting to be a nuisance with a clutch (bloody soft Wrexham exports).

  • 3.3 litres and 11:1 compression gives awesome engine braking!
Reply to
EMB

I have a an auto Discovery box in our V8 90. I find it superb off road. As for going down hill, 1st low with a little 'gentle' left foot braking if needed. Richard

Richard

This is really funny; here in Germany for cars of this class manual seems to be highly prefered.

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

Thanks everyone - You've made up my mind, I'm going to go for the auto.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

So why are all those big Mercs autos'

Regards Pete

Reply to
Highbeam

There are other things to consider Stu and I'm not deliberately trying cause confusion.

I'm singing the praises of the auto box and a V8 engine I have heard of people being less enthusiastic when the auto is combined with diesel power. I would hate for you to have a bad experiance.

Perhaps some body else on the group could comment

Pete

Reply to
Highbeam

Mine's an auto with a diesel and yes it's slow to take off compared with a petrol or even a manual, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks

Peter

300TDi. ES Auto with EDC
Reply to
Peter Seddon

At the end of the day I'm not really concerned about speed, I've got an XJS for that.

Thanks

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

On or around Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:59:09 +0000 (UTC), "Stuart Adair" enlightened us thusly:

now that's a throwaway line I'd love to be able to use. Lucky bleeder.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Austin.....you seem to know about the 'cross drilled shaft' syndrome which seems to have more versions of half truth, invention, rumour and confusion surrounding it than just about anything else I've read about Disco mechanicals. Can you clarify whether my late N Reg 300TDi will definately have this problem or not? Despite having a complete main dealer service record, they cannot say for sure whether the gearbox was modified at factory, or retro modified or unmodified and vulnerable to early failure. There arrears to be no simple inspection process or marking that can estblish if the mod has been done. Other people say the better mod is some kind of simple oil deflecting baffle fitted to the box.Others say you can look into the box and if it's near death all the upper cogs and shafts will be dry and dusty with metal shards. Others say if its quiet and smooth, leave it alone and don't even change the oil! All a bit confusing and pretty serious confusion for a prospective terminal failure...Any views?

Keith