Advice to potential P38 diesel buyer - help

Evening all, I've been looking to change from the RRC Tdi for a little while now, and as luck would have it a mate of mine spotted a P38 DT for sale up the road. Shes up for =A35495, in beluga black, and very nice it is too! I phoned the owner tonight who (despite admitting being a car dealer) seemed ok. He reckoned that it has done 76K, full service history, but he's only owned it a few months himself. I've got to admit, that although sorely tempted by the machine and owning and driving nothing else but Land Rovers for the last 15 years i'm quite in the dark when it comes to the P38. I know that the V8s had problems with the block and that the air suspension can have problems but what else do i need to look out for? Does anyone have any experience of these and the diesel in particular? Rumour has it that this car dealer buys the vehicles from auction and then repairs / tarts then up. Is this a bad thing? I'm going to have a look at it properly on Friday after work, and if i'm still interested maybe one of those AA inspections will be worthwhile. So, anyone care to offer any advice / horror stories.

TIA

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

wrong, then it can/will be expensive. And EVERYTHING, even the lights, is driven by computers.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon

Dave R a écrit :

snip

Check

for some great P38 info, tho don't be too put off! Most of it is American so engine-wise aimed at the V8. The BMW diesel is great, and will go on forever if well serviced. Mine had 210k on the clock when I sold it, and I've had a BMW with the same engine, sold at 186k. If it has been left to overheat it can warp the head, so check for signs of previous overheating. Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Wot 'e said.

Plus, I'm home again now, so gizza ring when you've got a minute.

Reply to
Rich B