aerials

you remember (some of you, don't lie) those great long bendy car radio aerials that you had to die down somewhere on the back of the car...?

anyone know if anyone's still making 'em?

and/or some other more robust sort of aerial for a disco, which picks up a decent signal? increasingly, aerials seem to get smaller and naffer.

I've got one of the short bendy black ones on mine, but it don't receive as well as the tall kind, although it's less prone to get broken off.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles vaguely muttered something like ...

Mine's part of the rear window heater (I think, 'cos I don't have an aerial showing anywhere else) and is excellent .. If it gets broken by anything then I know I'm in trouble ... ;)

Maplins do some ..

AtoZ listing, then aerials In-Car ... Flexible and screen mount etc.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I got one from halfords for my disco small black steel one with a coil in the middle it doesn't get broke off road or laning and gives a good reception.

Peter

Reply to
Scorpio

Twas Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:54:44 GMT when "Scorpio" put finger to keyboard producing:

fwiw I intend fitting an electric uppy-downy aeriel thingy for my radio when I fit it, mounted in the front wing.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:54:44 GMT, "Scorpio" enlightened us thusly:

ditto on mine, but the reception's not that good.

ordered a couple of the windscreen mount ones from maplin, to see what they're like. pretty much break-proof, one would hope, and may provide better reception. In this area, reception is iffy at best, so having an aerial which is below the roof-line of the vehicle don't help.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:45:55 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

b**ger that on the disco, it's flippin' nigh impossible to get an ordinary one installed.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at snipped-for-privacy@ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk wrote on 17/9/04 9:47 am:

Our is electric on the Discovery.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Austin, my Subaru's aerial is in the rear window & is shit, the wife's A4 convertible is in the boot lid & is superb! Work it out as I cant!

The Troopers was about 6 foot high & could pick up radio Luxembourg!!! Not seen the RRC yet, but I bet it's a massive structure much like the Eiffel tower!

You need an electric aerial, stops the chavs & scumbags as you cant see it!

The best one I have come across was a massive loop round the car roof gutter on a mini!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Gawd yes! I used to have one on my Austin A40! Had a little clippy thing that you screwed to the gutter at the back and hooked the aerial into. I couldn't drive around with it up (unsecured) though as every time I went around a sharp bend the aerial used to sway out to the side. Perhaps they use stronger base springs these days. I wonder how many times you've been recycled, CDR 522C?

Ho-hum, nostalgia (cue violins and soft-focus) Steve

Reply to
Steve

Worth making sure that the aerial is earthing to the body properly - makes a huge difference to the signal.

IMHO most of the stick on window mount ones are not as good and even the worst outside antenna.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

On or around 19 Sep 2004 12:46:53 GMT, "Simon Atkinson" enlightened us thusly:

the one I just fitted to mother's (not Martyn) disco is a lot better than a broken outside one though. 's long enough to go around 3 sides of the screen.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news:cijnfa$sgr$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk, Martin Edwards blithered:

I'm not sure the army in Ireland uses many Land Rovers, most that I've seen seem to be Nissans.

Reply to
GbH

If you really want a big whip antenna try Ham radio enthusiasts or military bods. The army LRs in Ireland stoill have em.

Reply to
Martin Edwards