Air compressor for shox

(warning.. not landrover...)

i've got an iveco turbodaily coachbuilt motorhome, (posted on here before, under the name of CampinGazz) I've just got hold of some gabriel hijacker shockers, which are american air shockers, standard shocker, with an air bag/bladder in a housing that surrounds the top sliding part of the shocker,

Fitted them to the bacdk of my van as she was sitting a little low, and by eck they make a differace, raised the rear end a bit, can only pump them upto 130 psi at the mo.. more on that later, but the ride is a lot better, go over a speed bump and the front end clunks over, the back end floats over.. that's the best way to describe it,

I'll be fitting these shockers to the front as soon as i get the money for another set.. luckily my van has the same mountings front and rear for the shockers, as the hijackers are kinda universal,

Anyway, at the mo i'm pumping them up with my garage compressor, which puts out 130 psi at about 8 CFM.. fine for running air tools, but not for air shocks it seems, high-ish volume, low-ish pressure, i need the oposite for air shockers,

I did scrounge one of those cheap 12 volt compressors sold by argos and the likes for pumping up tyres, and took the system upto 140 psi.. but it took about 3 minutes to shove an extra 10 psi in the shockers with the tiny pump i had borrowed, says on the case it'll go upto 300 psi.. but when you can only run these for 10 minutes at a time before they overheat, it'd take all day to do that.

So i'm trying to find a suitable 12 volt compressor that'll work with my air shocks.. once i have front and rear air shox on, i'll want to use them to leavel the motorhome when camping by adjusting the pressures, so i want a fairly fast system to pump the lowest shocker up to normal ride height when i move off,

I know landrovers have air suspension systems on board.. well some do anyways, and i imagine they use a 12 volt compressor and a tank?? anyone know what pressure they run at?

and how fast is the system to pump up from say 30 to 200 psi.. i know weight comes into it.. but some landies must weigh what my van does.. 3.2 tons,

Then the biggest Q.. if the air compressor set up is suitable from a landie.. how much are they.. jsut the compressor for now, i'll add a tank later, and my own solenoid valves for leveling, i guess the compressor will be expensive to buy new.. anyone got a good one second hand to sell me??

Reply to
Hairy Arse

Many air-shocked vehicles have an engine mounted compressor, like the A/C compressor. You CAN use an A/C compressor, but the lubrication of the pump needs to be sealed. I did find a sitewhich detailed just which pumps were OK. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

10 bar, I think, 140psi.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson

I found this site

Which might be useful.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Thu, 19 Aug 2004 02:47:52 +0000 (UTC), "Hairy Arse" enlightened us thusly:

there are some nice 12V tyre compressors called Truckair, which are much more heavy duty and can be run continuously.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Is it just me, did I get a particularly bad one or am I just unlucky? The Truckair I tested wasn't worth the effort. Apart from longer running time (which can be achieved with most 'cheapy' compressors and a quid's worth of 40mm fan) I didn't find them any better than the small ones ... In fact I now use a Monroe badged one that came attached to a knacked set of Monroe adjustable shocks - *much* faster and quieter than anything else I've found apart from a double barrel foot pump and no.1 quadraceps.

Reply to
AJG

On or around Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:31:07 +0100, AJG enlightened us thusly:

I've not tried one, actually. I was going on the magazine reports and the specifications. The Monroe one may well be a still-bigger/more powerful pump - those monroe shocks are something like the ones the OP was on about - they need pretty high pressures.

AIUI, the main selling point of the truckair is that it *is* continuous-rated, most other not being so. The air pump is also supposed to be bigger, which means that it'll inflate big tyres in less than half a day.

Reply to
Austin Shackles