Air con 101

Ok probably a good reason not too but....

what about one of these....

being run off one of them 2kw EUi2 or what ever they are Gennys .. strapped to a craddle such that it could be used on the move as well as on site.

Thoughts please.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

It'll never work! ;-)

Reply to
Tom Woods

although I can loan an EU20i for testing should you wish to try....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I may take you up on that Tim.

Any Air con Wizards out there know what 2kw of cooling means in a caravan /

101?

I'd go for the kit as I could use it in both the 101 and Caravan which would be more likely to get the approval from the financial advisor. I'm also keen to ditch my current genny (Makro special) having seen the Honda in action and barely heard it. Which reminds me... I think I have a spark plug to go and clean before it's needed in an emegency.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

With generators you do need to be careful as there is some reference to an inductive load i.e. motors and this reduces what the genny will run, so you may need a bigger genny than you think, the air con unit seems a bit dear as you can get a 9000 btu one at B&Q for £200. what ever size you have, whether it is big enough for the job or not you will still get a cold breeze out of it, remember to use the exhaust air tube to an outside point as this is used to remove the heat.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Have just had a serverroom done at work. tis about 12ftx30ft and contains 15 or so always on computers and 2 people during working hours and has big windows that catch the sun up one side. I think the aircon in that is rated at either 8 or 11kw (i cant remember which). Either way - just to cool the inside of a 101 then

2kw sounds like plenty.
Reply to
Tom Woods

Thats depends on a sunny day in summer the incident radiation from the sun is of order of 1kW/m^2. How big is the side of a 101?...

IMHO small "air conditioning" units are a waste of space, doubly so for the evaporative rather than heat pump type. Probably better of fitting a decent ceiling fan(*) that can slowly move the whole body of air in the room. Table fans just shift a bit of air at high speed rather then set up a very gently flow.

(*) Head room might be a problem in a 101 but high volume low speed is the key to a fan.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A chap on another list who fits air con units to all sorts of vehicles, mostly off-road expedition vehicles and haulage trucks, found that anything less than an 8.5Kw (29000 btu) unit wasn't really suitable for Florida. A smaller 4Kw unit he fitted to a Volvo C303 (similar in size and shape to a 101) sucked 58 amps on full load and 7 amps once it cooled the air sufficiently. Those current draws at 24v I believe. A 5Kw like a Webasto CC5E might be OK for hot days in Britain.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

whoops wrong button!

I'm thinking on that logic after my last trip... output from the pto to a Chinnook rota should have it sorted then. ;-)

Sun is not something to worry about, the heat from the Engine & Gearbox is the main issue. If it could be bought down to sunny day in a non aircon car temperatures then that would be a start, a cool burst of coldness would be pure luxury.

Give me three months mind and I'll be trying to squeeze a few more BTU's from the Eberspacher again.

I've a vision on bonnet scoops mounted just behind the doors to afford draught for the rear seat occupants. Trouble with the last trip with the roof hatch open, twin fans blowing in air which was warm by default and another heater again blowing warm (ambient temperature at the time) it was a tad sticky should we say.

The Welsh greenlaning trip was fine so it's purely an ambient temperature issue.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I half got the impression you wanted something for use when stationary. If moving and thus have a reasonable flow of air some form of evaporative cooler in the existing ventilation may help a lot.

I don't know how the cheap evaporative coolers do the evaporation, presumably some form of large wick and water reservoir arrangement. They certainly produce cool air. The snag it it's rather damp cool air so running one in an unventilated area soon produces condensation problems...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This will...

Mother

'Tis a gorgeous thing. I hope it fits....

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:28:15 +0100, Steve Taylor scribbled the following nonsense:

it will, when warren gets round to it!!!!!!!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Simon Isaacs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

me thinks my Diff is going to suddenly take priority... looks like a job for another year :-(

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Eh? What extra kit? I have all the leccie bits, vaccu, enough pipework to go around the truck three times and the compressor.

Can't think there's much missing - but then again, haven't got around to fitting it yet.

Reply to
Mother

Oh, yeah it didn't mention it - the chap threw a new one in at time of collection - plus some other bits - I really wish all eBay purchases were as pleasant. Got a DVD a few weeks ago - turned out to be a poor quality VHS to DVD copy - not worth leaving Negative feedback only to get the same in return :-(

Reply to
Mother