air con

Does anyone know how cold air con should be? When I hold a thermometer in front of the vent on my Disco it reads 14deg. When I do the same on my wifes Mondeo it reads 4deg. Both cars the same conditions, ie. fan speed high, all vents shut apart from one centre dash vent. Checked after 3 mins at idle speed. Thanks in advance Richard

Reply to
Richard

Not specifically Disco but as a general rule any aircon should pull down to less than 5 deg under those conditions - methinks the Disco AC is getting tired.

Reply to
EMB

Sounds like it needs re-gassing.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Had the air con checked on the Freeloader before a trip to spain. Dealer said it measures 4 degrees C and that this is normal.

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

had air checked out today and they say the air con is working ok, re-gassed it, pressure tested etc. and they seem to think the heater valve is passing when shut so its trying to cool hot air. does that sound right ? Richard

Reply to
Richard

Sounds possible - unfortunately I can't help you with any Disco specifics.

Reply to
EMB

Heard about that possibility before.Can easily be checked with AC off,temperature all the way to the left,(cold) ,fan on,engine hot,and check if the air that comes out of the heater almost has the same temp as the outside temp. On the freelander forum is a thread that explains how to readjust the cables to ensure there's no hot water going to the heater.

Reply to
Woodstock

On or around Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:55:20 +0200, "Woodstock" enlightened us thusly:

if the heater is similar to the normal disco heater, then it circulates hot water all the time and switches the air flow instead. still relevant about adjusting cables, just what the cable does is different.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

dont know what you mean by 'normal disco'. ours is a 3.9 and they have a vacuum operated water valve which is controlled by two micro switches off of each heater control (one for passenger, one for driver). when both controls are in the 'cold' position the valve is shut and hot water bypasses the heater and recirculates back to the engine instead. when either controls are moved from 'cold' a microswitch operates and the solenoid opens the water valve to the heater then the air flow is controlled by either control knob. amazing what you learn by reading the manual. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Reply to
Richard

On or around Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:15:58 GMT, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

ooer. I've never actually read that bit. I assumed it was done with the sort of heater that vents air either through or round the matrix.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

dont know if 3.5's are the same. I think the later 4.0 are differant. I might try and change mine to another system as the hot water v/v is passing and tried two more and they were the same.

0123456789112345678921234567893123456789412345678951234567896123456789712345
Reply to
Richard

New pattern parts control valves shouldn't be very expensive - I expect they are the same as Jaguar ones which are the same as half the 70's and

80's American cars. The last one I bought for a Jag was only in the region of GBP10 and is still working perfectly on a customer's Jag (after 12 months).
Reply to
EMB

a new genuine one is only £18+vat but i want to try a differant system as i have tried 2 new ones and the both pass! dodgy batch ?

Reply to
Richard