air con condenser failure

I have had repeated AC condenser failure on my 2000MY 4.0 Range Rover. I notice two electric cooling fans in front of the condenser which I have never seen come on. On my RR classic I remember these worked immediately when the AC was switched on. Does it need to be desert - like temperatures for these fans to work? Could this lack of cooling be affecting the condenser or could it simply be a bad batch? The original one only lasted 5 years!

David

Reply to
David Haggas

The condenser cools the hot gas from the compressor to warm liquid. Inadequate cooling is unlikely to cause failure.

Any idea how they failed ? Corrosion ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Whats the symptoms matey? Just leaks the gas out or what? I'm having a few problems with mine.

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Three separate leaks after just one year - they replaced it under warranty but its a nuisance

David

Reply to
David Haggas

Assume corrosion-. Fitted July - Everything OK last summer - failed early May this year. Is there a separate fuse for those fans? I'd like to see them work just for peace of mind. presume they have a purpose.

David

Reply to
David Haggas

Lack of cooling won't kill it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

If it keeps failing, you may have too much system pressure, possibly caused by a blocked dryer. Did you have the dryer checked/replaced when they did the condenser, as if moisture entered the system through the condenser leak, it will have damaged it.

For details of how to check fan function, see the thread 'p38 aircon problem'

Reply to
SimonJ

Many thanks Simon. I will check both of those.

David

Reply to
David Haggas