Air suspension

Not a landrover specific question, i've got an iveco turbodaily based motorhome, and at the weekend was about to get air suspension helper bags fitted to the rear end, was at a motorhome show, and they were selling the kits there, but unfortunately for the new shape daily vans,

so the kit wouldent fit my R reg iveco, the problem being, on the new daily's the rear leaf springs appart from being single leafs, the shackles are mounted on the bottom of the chassis rails, on my van, the shackles are mounted on the side of the chassis rails, and at the top, as a result with the multiple leaf springs i have, and the 3 ton weight of the van, there's about 1/2 an inch of clearance between the bottom of the chassis rails and the tops of the springs, so no way an air bag can sit between them even if the top brackets to offset the bags fitted my chassis.

Now i know spring to chassis clearance isn't likely a problem on landies, but can anyone suggest a few companies i can approach to see if some custom air bag brackets can be made up?

i'm thinking i need to off set the air bags to the outside of the chassis'springs, thus needing brackets to hold the top of the bags from the chassis rails.. easy really, but also brackets for the bottom of the bags to connect to the tops of the leaf springs,

It may well be impossible on this van to have air bags, but im thinking if any group can do the seemingly impossible, then it's the landrover group :)

i was thinking of something that could possibaly replace the shockers, air sleves are available, but i'm not sure if they can handle the loads, this van is heavy, and will always be heavy, i want hte air bags primeralry for rear end leaveling, as most of the weight is in the rear, the back end sits low now, but eventualy i want to fit air bags/sleves to the front suspension, and add a compressor and tank, few solenoid valves and have a self leveling system, ideal for uneven campsites i always seem to choose :)

Someone mentioned a firm that does custom air ride systems on landies a while ago, i e-mailed them but got no reply, so they obviousely don't want my money. Are there any other 'custom' air spring fitters out there.. we dont have that much money to spend on this project, but i was looking at £350 alone for the rear simple air bag system if it fitted at the show.

Reply to
CampinGazz

Have you tried the self build motor home web site. Seem a helpful bunch and no doubt someone there has done something similar.

I know that a 101 owner has fitted similar but I think it was a bit more straight forward than your space issue.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Gazz is one of the SBMCC stalwarts - he's asking here 'cos he's got no joy there!

Reply to
QrizB

LOL!!!

Thought the name rang a bell... must ease off of the gin. :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D