Aldi again from this Thursday

Heads up all those that want a new high end PC....

Regards Bob H

Reply to
Bob Hobden

It would have been twice the price, but sadly it has Vista on it !

At work they were going to roll out Vista last year, but it was delayed because most of our stuff didn't work on it. Then I think they were waiting for SP1, but that was delayed by Microsoft - but should be coming out soon. Then we can test out all the stuff that didn't work again, we are now expecting to get it in early 2009.

I am beginning to think Mac or Linux (though both are based on good old 1970s Unix - which is like buying a new car and finding its got an engine with 'Austin' stamped on the rocker cover).

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

aaah yes, the Vista Virus.... Took ages to remove it from a brand new laptop I bought. Slowed a perfectly high spec laptop right down.

Reply to
madhatchetman

Doesn't "Format C: " (or whatever the menu commands are) work to eradicate the unwanted then?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On or around Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:21:07 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

Hmmm. High-end about a year ago...

3GB ram is only just adequate for vista, 8600GT 256MB graphics card is pants. Can't really comment on the processor, I favour AMD ones. 500GB SATA is pretty ordinary now too.

Frankly, it's not that good a bargain.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Time for a paradigm shift Austin (I've just bought my first Intel PC in years) - right now AMD are lagging Intel in both the performance and TDP stakes by so much it's painful.

Reply to
EMB

Indeedy, AMD were tops until Intel realised the mistake they made with the Pentium 4 and wound back to an enhanced pentium 3 and whacked a few cores onto a chip to make the core duo processors, core 2 duos are my stock processor these days.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It's not that big a bargain, especially as it has bloody Vista on it.

Ebuyer will sell you better for less these days.

I'm afraid the days when Aldi computers were way over the spec of everyone else's for the money are gone.

The only reason to buy this one is all the clever high definition video, audio and TV stuff if you wanted to use it as a home entertainment centre linked to a TV/home cinema system, but as a domestic desk top, for that price, it's pants...

Reply to
William Black

The 3 year warranty would add quite a lot to the cost from other suppliers.

Mike

Muddymike

Running Vista 64 bit with 2 gig here no problems - other than odd bits of software and hardware not being compatible. Only thing I'd do different is get the 32 bit version.

2.6 gig Duo Pentium chip.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:50:44 -0000, "Muddymike" enlightened us thusly:

but in 3 years the thing will be worthless anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Have you had any PC hardware go wrong in the first three years in the past decade?

The days when a hard disc was expected to shred itself or a CD drive get clogged with dust in eighteen months have long gone.

Software: 'Just do a reinstall with the supplied disc mate'...

Reply to
William Black

Perhaps you could be kind enough to point out the model number(s) for me on the eBuyer site. Or anywhere for that matter.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Harrison

What spec do you want?

As I said, if you want an entertainment centre it's fine.

If you're sold on Vista it's fine as well.

Not many people want either.

Last month they had the same box on sale, there were still three (out of the fourteen delivered, I asked) there in the store the next day.

The days when the Aldi computers flew out of the store in the first five minutes after opening are gone...

Reply to
William Black

The best you can say is its competitive in that market sector let down by the video card I might start building systems again at this rate but there's more money in just doing upgrades where the customer sees a large improvement in performance for little money - thank Pissy world for selling integrated video and tiny amounts of ram. Derek

Reply to
Derek

The gamers are all getting into something called 'Second Life' at the moment, and I believe that has fierce graphics card requirements.

Reply to
William Black

Are you sure its not called "Get a life" ? Though I suppose the push for increasingly realistic games simulations will have benefits in what I call real world situations, training simulators for example.

Like the little poem ...

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

On or around Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:56:14 -0000, "William Black" enlightened us thusly:

real-time 3-d interactive, and you need a fair old connection to get good results.

I looked at it, but I didn't really see the point. It's more or less IRC with graphical bells and whistles...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not tried it I'm still playing UT (GOTY) with my ( modest now) setup its hitting

100fps with everything on so I can live with the tyros and kiddles and give them a kicking. Derek
Reply to
Derek

Not my scene I'm afraid, although I keep getting pestered for a better graphics card by the wife.

What's the cheapest one that'll do everything modern?

Reply to
William Black