Alloy wheel cleaning/colouring?

Hi all,

Landrover Discovery with scratched and a bit battered alloy wheels which I'd like to both clean up and re-colour them in black. I say re-colour 'cos I dunno whether anyone anodises them, paints them, powder coats them or what they do ... Anyone know? Anyone know any decent wheel restorers? I've found a couple with flashy websites but would prefer personal recommendations, preferably within 50 miles or so of Doncaster (Sheffield, Leeds etc etc)

I'd also consider doing them myself ... but haven't a clue how to go about it other than maybe sand-blast (have a small compressor) and paint. Would this be OK?

Cheers.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I can recommend

When Becky got her new car, she ran it along a kerb whilst doing about 40..

Needless to say, the alloy was mashed with chuncks missing from the alloy.

Man in a van turned up at her work, filled it , sprayed it and baked it all for £40 i think. Did it at her work car park.

Real good job.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Filled it with what? I don't trust alloy wheels that have had lumps knocked out of 'em. One failure mode of an alloy wheel involves them basically exploding starting from a stress point...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not entirely sure, as i was not there when he did it.

When i say lumps, more like chips the size of a 2 pence peice and a no more than 5mm deep.

It must be something decent, as they guarantee the work for a year i think, and main dealers use them.

I was pleased anyway :)

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I had mine sandblasted then I sprayed all four with a litre of that yellow etch primer then gave them to a mate to spray silver and then cover that with two pack laquer. They don't look bad at all now ( but that's just my opinion) ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

bead blasted perhaps?

Reply to
William Tasso

You know, I may just ask him in answer to this question you have posed. :-)

It was about two years ago and he may not remember, but I primed them myself at the time and then they were left until recently before they were painted. I could have picked some better rims as they were corroded and you can still see evidence of this through the paint, I will know better next time. I have now fitted new tyres but I'm waiting until the present set are a bit more worn before fitting the wheels.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Sounds like a lump to me...

Its the crack propagation that is the problem and may remain hidden for a long time before the rim just suddenly falls apart.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice