Alternator pulley diameters...

Gave up thoughts of refurbing alternator: at 150,000 miles thought replacement was sensible rather than new brushes/regulator, so bought a recon at local spares place.

They didn't have an identical unit, so fitted a Ford one which looks almost identical (clearance hole instead of tapped for the adjustment bolt otherwise the same), BUT the pulley is larger, about 1/3 bigger diameter than the original. I tried and couldn't undo the nuts to swap them over, so fitted it anyway.

Seems to be fine, but was this sensible? I'm assuming the alternator RPM will be about 1/3 slower, but shouldn't matter much above tickover as the regulator'll just be working less hard.

What does the team think?

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

On or around Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:21:48 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

so long as you haven't got the kind of rev counter that connects to the alternator, it should be fine. If you get problems with not enough output then you can always change it later.

The pulley nuts are a bit of a sod sometimes. I grip the pulley in a vice, meself, which isn't always good for it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Rev counter? There's a thought :)

Thanks for the reassurance...

...on two counts (it's not just me then!). I stopped when I was likely to bend the Allen key. I must get some of those nice ones that fit impact screwdrivers and thus socket sets.

Cheers,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Hold the pulley with a leather glove and use an air impact wrench on the nut - it'll undo really easily.

Reply to
EMB

Aha!

Thanks. You've just given me the excu, er justification needed for a key part of the Christmas present list.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I tend to forget that a lot of people on here don't have such tools - I had 6 at last count (1/4", 3/8", 2x1/2", 3/4" and 1" drive).

Reply to
EMB

I thought leather gloves just came in S / M and L

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

My impression was "one size fits nobody".

I've finally found some decent welding gloves to suit my 10 year old son

- it's school holidays here at the moment and he's commandeered the MIG to make "stuff" with. He's just about finished some wrought iron gates for a mate of mine - my design, but all his work cutting and welding them. I'm quite impressed with what he's done but my plans for the day now have to include dropping them off to be galvanised.

Reply to
EMB

Brilliant.

Does he use an ordinary mask or one of the 'electronic' ones? Interested because my twelve-year-old daughter is showing an interest (from a distance behind a shield!).

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

He and I both have electronic ones - he's got my new, very expensive one because it's better fit on the smaller head and is a lot more reliable, and I've got an older cheaper one that's due for replacement as it fails to darken from time to time.

Kids who are going to weld need: Spark resistant overalls - heavy cotton or better yet pyrotex. Leather workboots. Thick woollen socks. Really good havey welding gloves. An automatic helmet. Scads of suntan lotion. A watering can of water nearby for when the inevitable happens.

The gear for them should be better quality than your own (if possible) as they get burnt much more easily than adults. My son also wears a welders cap to keep the hot bits out of his hair - he reckons the burning smell is gross.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:54:56 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

not as bad as grindersparks going in yer ear, mind.

actually, a hat is a good plan, stops sparks going down the back of yer neck.

oh and BTW, a tip for all you wannabe welders out there - sandals are not the best footwear.

and I agree about the suntan lotion, you can get a nice sunburn from an arc welder.

Automatic mask very good if you can wear the cost, either that or be *very* careful to make sure they don't look at the arc.

I believe there are eyedrops to be had for "arc eye", and laying in a supply might be a cunning plan if possible - however careful you are, sooner or later someone gets a flash in the eyes, and it can be pretty uncomfortable.

and finally... things that've been welded are hot!

Reply to
Austin Shackles

uncomfortable.

When I forget and some one asks "Was that hot" I just reply with "No, very heavy"!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, Fully restored, ready for sale! Make me an offer! Suzuki SJ410 (Fiancée's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)

Peterborough 4x4 Club

Simon Isaacs

understatement, exchanged my dynamo last year and the motor factors very kindly broke my 2a pulley saving me the bother :-)

It took ages to source another one

Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Bayton