Alternator upgrade for dual batteries

I have a V8 110 from 1988. It had a Lucas A127/65 when I got it, which I think is standard. I have switched it to dual batteries so I can use one to power equipment, and will be wiring in the split charge. As the existing alternator is dodgy (see previous thread on wiring problems now sorted), I was thinking of a bigger one with sufficient grunt to handle charging two batteries.

Is anyone clued up on all the different Lucas/Morelli types available, or knows of a good web link ? Mine has terminal post connectors and is mounted on the driver side. There are so many different types out there, that it is mind boggling. Its normal V-belt - so maybe that limits the power ?

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Do you really need a bigger one? for charging the batteries you only need the capacity to replace the charge taken from them, so a little baby alternator will/should be able to maintain a battery at full charge so long as you don't flatten them. You usually need a bigger alternator to drive more high current toys and then be able to charge your battery(ies) so if you avoid running, heater fan(s) A/C fans together with front and back demisters headlights, supplementary lights and the winch, all at the same time as charging your auxilliary battery that was running all of the above while you were cranking for ages off the main battery to get the beast functioning. I reckon you'll get away with it.

Reply to
GbH

Wot 'e sez. I've run a Warn 8274 for years with just one good battery, when winching just left the engine running so no trouble restarting.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

OK, have spotted a 70amp type at the right price, guess that will do. Second battery is so I can run equipment for several hours with the engine off - via my inverter, and not have the embarassment of not being able to fire her up due to a flat battery (again). Which reminds me that I must get round to fitting an electric fan, the engine overheats if left to idle for long.

Think I read somewhere that alternators can overheat if asked to charge a flat battery - but I suppose that is true whatever the output, and I suppose people with caravans do this sort of thing all the time (and no I don't have a caravan, plenty of room in the back of the 110 !).

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Caravan.... battery.....?????

;-)

Mains is a wonderful thing! Though I do like the occasional roughing it on

12 volts :-)

I really liked the good old days of the gas mantle sp? lights and that was your lot :-)

Gas always reminds me of camping when I get that passing whiff.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Well there you go, it just proves I don't have one.

I used to drink in a pub that used a generator, and then when time was called they would shut the genny down and switch to gas lamps over the bar and the odd candle for a few late beers. I remember the crane flies used to be attracted to the lamps and then plummet wingless into any beer placed under them.

The other great thing was ordering something that needed heating up in the microwave. You could hear the distant genny go from bub-bub-bub to bomp-bomp-bomp as it opened up the taps to generate the power. Then there would be a tiny 'ding' from the kitchen and the genny would immediately relax to bub-bub-bub. Diesel powered microwave - great.

Fond memories.

Reply to
Cheshire Steve