Alternators

The alternator on my series 3 V8 has given up working. I have it mounted as they are on the Rover P6 cars, that is, directly infront of the rocker cover. The back of the alternator is tight up against the rocker cover so the replacement I get cannot be any longer than my old one. This isn't a problem if I get a replacement the same power as old one (40amp) but according to my local motor factor the 55amp version is longer so will not fit. Is he right? I was hoping to get a 65 to 75 amp one.

Also I has wondering if anyone knows how to decode the numbers on my alternator.

RTC 5085E L1840K DH

24182 87

Thanks

Liam

Reply to
Liam

RTC 5085E RTC 5085 is Land Rover part number L1840K DH

24182 87 24182 is Lucas part number (could be model A127)

David

Reply to
Dougal

If you don't mind a bit of fabrication and wiring, get a high-output one of a Japanese vehicle, make up some new mounts and fit it. Most of the Mitsubishi 75A ones are much shorter (and way more reliable) than anything Lucas made.

Reply to
EMB

Try a local Vapormatic distributor. They have all sorts at reasonable prices and there is one near you. Google it and see.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:53:54 GMT, "Liam" enlightened us thusly:

there's a different bracket to be had. Hunt the bracket off a later Rangie, it'll allow the fitting of a bigger alternator...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Went to a different motorfactors and was able to get a 65amp one that has fitted straight on. The only difference is its a larger diameter, has a different pulley mounting and is actually a bit shorter so it's not resting on the rocker cover. Luckily I had a spare pulley that fitted. Cost 58 pounds, should have been 48 but I was exchanging a different unit that had a lower surcharge. I did think about fitting the RR bracket but because of where I have mounted the remote oil filter it wouldn't fit.

Liam

Reply to
Liam