Aluminium 'welding' (joining) kit from frosts -' lumiweld'

I don't usually champion products for people. I have just tried out 'Lumiweld' for joining aluminium. It's available from frost's restorers.

It does exactly what it says on the tin! (plastic tube actually!) I am well pleased. Just made a 'welded' seam on an aluminium water tank. If you follow the instructions it is dead easy. Really cheap too. Says it is suitable for Landrover bodywork.

Stew

Reply to
90ninety

On or around Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:13:57 +0100, "90ninety" enlightened us thusly:

seen their demo, which includes among other things welding a bit of 2mm plate to the side of an aluminium lager tin, and casting an aluminium thread by filling a steel nut with the stuff. The latter was stronger than it had any right to be. Also tried pulling apart 2 bits of 2mm plate welded together and the plate fails as readily as the weld.

The particular advantage IIRC is that it's low temperature, a bit like bronze-welding steel parts together - the steel never actually melts.

interesting to know you can get it from Frost. I wonder if it's up to aluminium fabrication of bike frames - must try it sometime, then we could build aluminium trikes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:00:51 +0100, Austin Shackles wrote (in article ):

Check out the welding forums if you're thinking of this. The impression I got from what I read was that it's OK for short term non-critical stuff, but not up to anything structural or which has to last forever, particularly in the wet. YMMV.

OTOH, the people commenting were generally those who had access to AC TIG and were likely to look down their noses at anything which might undermine their investment!

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Williams

On or around Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:03:46 +0100, Nick Williams enlightened us thusly:

hehe. I have not a tig. My mig welder isn't good enough to weld alu either.

I guess tlkaing to lumiweld would be the best bet, but they seem not to be on the web, irritatingly, or else it's made a company not called lumiweld. Anyone got contact details?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'm pretty sure the kits we used to use were from BOC (BICBW) We used them to repair the sumps on perkins phazer engines with quite good results as well Or you could try

kits as we used just different name

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

And it's a fair bit cheaper from them.

Reply to
EMB

I was looking at that as well there seem to a few companies selling it or similar try the distributors

or
looks cheaper to buy in direct from the US working out at about £25 for 22 sticks Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:28:12 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

the one "EMB" came up with claims to be better. But then it would...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I was going to offer to go halfsies on a load but it looks like my Discovery plans have gone titsup I spoke to my insurance at length and they what to know chapter and verse on the motor I fancied -its a hybrid (RR'77 chassis Disco 3 door shiny bits) but the engine doesn't pan out to the chassis(no

2.5tds in 77?) so they are in a tizz and won't say whether they will or won't or a ballpark figure even. Its a pretty tidy motor if any one fancies ( and has sensible insurers ) aside from a little powder on the door edges and dodgy electrics "qu'elle suprise" I test drove it this week a little slow but acceptable IMO although to be fair I had just hammered the Merc up to Carlisle for an urgent delivery so it may have colored my judgement a little. I reckon the reserve will kill the auction- tho he had a fs notice showing £2500 in the back a bit steep for a '77 ? . btw did you watch the video I was impressed !! makes me want to play . Derek if you don't eat your meat you can't have your pudding
Reply to
Derek

On or around Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:00:22 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

hehe. nah, for what I have in mind, I'd want proper bicycle tubing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Lugged and brazed, or just brazed ally?

Reply to
EMB

Ahem... "stand still LADDIE"

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:53:46 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

probably a mixture. what we do is on here:

Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:20:59 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

could be, at that. I'd have to listen to it or go an read the sleeve notes...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

maybe but I looked on the CD and its not part of the lyrics.Have you seen the Floyd website I don't remember it ever being this good some video clips I haven't seen before too (as well, also er whatever )

liked the Dave Gilmour live sessionDerek

Reply to
Derek

Not could be, is.

Dear me can't remember decent lyrics these days. Though that section is spoken rather than sung. B-)

Keep your filthy hands of my desert. There's no dark side of the moon really. As a matter of fact it's all dark.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I bought a pack many years ago. It was called Technoweld then.

I have used it to join a new piece of aluminium to a broken casting with very good results. I have used it to fabricate a small aluminium angle framed trolley, also with very good results. However, I also used it fill in a few pin holes in an aluminium pot used for boiling water, but electrolytic corrosion at the repair areas was extremely rapid afterwards, maybe it was just the particular aluminium alloy the pot was made of. But I'd not use it for anything regularly holding water again, everything else I've used it for is fine.

Neil

Neil