Amateur Radio & RF in a TD5

Hi all, I question I'd like to ask. Is the TD5 immune from radio RF? The reason I'm asking is as the TD5 is basically all electronically controlled and I'm wondering if anyone on the NG has any experience of problems prior to me fitting a radio which will use up to 100 Watts output to the antenna. I'm a bit concerned as whether RF will effect the ECU at some time giving me problems. The HF antenna's will be mounted at the rear, with the VHF/UHF at the front. This was not a problem with my 110 CSW (200 Series) Any information at this time is appreciated. TIA Dave

Reply to
Dave Piggin

The electronics should be screened at the design stage to prevent any problems. As long as your co-ax cables etc are good quality and the equipment is in good working order, there shouldn't be any problems. I've used a 5 watt hand-held *inside* my BMW 330dSE (and it's got more computers than a blooming P38!) with no probs at all. My 110V8 EFI has radios fitted, and the main ecu is quite happy with the standard 50w output on 2m band. I believe plenty of owners over the years have installed quite high output HF systems in cars with electronics and I've never actually heard of any issues. Badger MM1EFI

Reply to
Badger

I've run 5W inside and 40W mag mount on a P38A and nothing gave problems. Both VHF/UHF.

nigelH G8JFT

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

They should be well screened from RF, as long as your equipment, in particular co-axial cable and antennas are properly fitted.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

Dave,

LANDROVER advised us of a very feeble 3.5 W if installed in the dash and 5W installed else where, this was aquired after some Peak District MRT's had problems with the new Search & Rescue channels which are 156 - 162 MHz, this referred to a Td5 110.

Personnaly I have no problems as of yet running 5W, as standard with the capabilities to go to 25W if needed, radios mounted in Chubby Box and with a Terra Fix installation as well pumping out in the UHF spectrum. Also have an ambulance radio blasting out 25W on 166 - 172 MHz

I know this isnt really Amateur radio stuff or frequencies, but on our two first response landies there is one hell of a lot of RF flying around in these.

Dave

Communications Officer Bolton MRT Radio Amateur M3CVM Broadcast Engineer as well !

Any intermediate courses being run soon, located in Sale !

Reply to
Dave H

On or around Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:15:04 -0000, "Dave H" enlightened us thusly:

all this calls to mind a FOAF who had a 27 MHz CB with a 250W burner, and used to delight in cruising down residential streets keying the mike, and setting off half the car alarms.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Electrickery seems happy with radio. Std. good installation practices applied such as crimped connectors, screened co-ax and SWR checked and sorted and good earth connections. VHF and UHF works just fine but HF is a total mess. Lots of interference from injectors on Td5.

Believe reason why MOD still uses Tdi300 is cause Td5 does not make interference standards required.

Reply to
Aubrey

You could do the same thing by driving down a street with yor door open.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

Yet all new MOD landrovers that I have seen in the last year or so have been TD5's..... Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Don't the MoD have two fleets? "White Fleet" are essentially civilian, leased, vehicles. Then there are the front-line vehicles, which would be the Wolf-type for Land Rovers.

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:44:25 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

I thought the point was that the TD5 (and other electronic controlled vehicles) wouldn't remain mobile if they got hit by an EMP weapon. A basic injection pump could be brought to life with some ingenuity, even if the vehicle body systems were fried.

'course, that's an argument against the CANbus... unless it can be shielded pretty impressively.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Indeed they do David, but there are relatively few wolfs on most RAF bases these days (heli-ops and regiment squadrons being the 2 main users), and I can also assure you from personal experience that white fleet vehicles do indeed go into theatre. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hi Boet

From what I have seen on a few trips to the UK, the MOD leases civilian vehicles for general run around in the UK and then have their mil spec vehicles. I was referring to the latter as I believe the Td5 failed to past the FFR requirements by a mile.

But then, I am African and we see funny shadows in every tree ;-)

Kind regards

Aubrey

Reply to
Aubrey

civilian,

vehicles do

As a retired MT driver on an RAF base that has above average Wolfs, those that I drove were all older vehicles with uprated 300tdi. But the newer white fleet (with MoD and civvy plates) were all Td5. I spoke with a driver of a Discovery Td5 out in the gulf and that worked OK.

Reg.

Reply to
Reg