An Electrical Problem

Hello,

Has anybody experienced the problem of intermittent electrical shorting when accelerating from a standing stop....??? Most of my driving is during the day and is noticeable through the sound system....it cuts in & out.

I thought it may have been a problem with the sound system, however when driving at night, my headlights flicker on & off as well.

The problem is worse when facing up-hill & even when reversing. Logic suggests I have a loose loom &/or connection somewhere, but I wouldn't know where to start apart from ripping all the trim out & jiggling harnesses.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas or pointers from anyone if any exist.

Cheers & many thanks.

Reply to
Ric Norris

Ric Norris came up with the following;:

Earth straps. Clean/replace them from the chassis to the engine and battery to chassis.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Does wobbling the ignition key duplicate the symptoms? Possibly a relay or fuse working loose. It might be an internal break in a wire which will be a bugger to find until it breaks properly. It wouldn't hurt to check the battery and alternator connections as well as all the earth straps. I'd also have a look round for anything shorting out.

Go round the whole electrical system, prodding and wobbling everything in sight, until you find the loose or slightly broken section.

You might be able to narrow it down by using a circuit diagram to work out which circuit is common to all the affected systems.

Reply to
PDannyD

|| Ric Norris came up with the following;: ||| Hello, ||| ||| Has anybody experienced the problem of intermittent electrical ||| shorting when accelerating from a standing stop....??? Most of my ||| driving is during the day and is noticeable through the sound ||| system....it cuts in & out. ||| ||| I thought it may have been a problem with the sound system, however ||| when driving at night, my headlights flicker on & off as well. ||| ||| The problem is worse when facing up-hill & even when reversing. ||| Logic suggests I have a loose loom &/or connection somewhere, but I ||| wouldn't know where to start apart from ripping all the trim out & ||| jiggling harnesses. ||| ||| I would greatly appreciate any ideas or pointers from anyone if any ||| exist. ||| ||| Cheers & many thanks. || || Earth straps. Clean/replace them from the chassis to the engine and || battery to chassis. || || -- || Paul ... || (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Seconded - or the battery terminals themselves.

First bad moment of my driving life, passed test 2 weeks before, coming home from country pub (Scott's Arms, Sicklinghall anyone?) when parents thought I was at the library in Leeds working for A-levels. Exactly the same symptoms, and add lurching on and off the power with the headlights flashing in time with the engine. Another motorist stopped me and was about to call the Police until he realised I was a green 17-year-old without much in the way of clue. He opened the bonnet, tightened the batt terminals and off I went.

ObLandy: Triumph 1300TC, made by the company that once was part of a company that owned Land Rover.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Good advice gentlemen....I will have a look tomorrow....it's Saturday.....woohoo....!!!! I hope it's that simple.

Cheers & many thanks.

Reply to
Ric Norris

In message , PDannyD writes

It sounds as though you have an intermittent open circuit not a short, otherwise either fuses would blow or wiring would burn out. Open circuits are a lot easier to find than shorts.

If your sound system is intermittent then switch it on and trace the supply backwards, pulling quite vigorously on all the wires and connectors.

Reply to
hugh