Anderson Plug

Evenin'

Went to jump start the rangie tonight - 2 problems.

firstly, ive got bucket seats in the 90 now, so getting to the battery for such a thing is a bit of an issue. The AA have a plug on the front of the van, which they can plug jump leads into. It seems that this is an 'Anderson Plug' type thing, with a plug on one end, and jump lead type crock clips on the other. Has anyone fitted one of these, will they do what i want?

Secondly - I left my jump leads in my old 90's seat box next to the battery.

Cock.

-- Mark

1996 90 300tdi 1987 RR V8 EFI

- Firefox Rules!
- FTP Plugin for Firefox
- IE tab. Get Windows updates in Firefox

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

These plugs are a good bit of kit, they come in a range of sizes, depending upon the current requirements, and are designed for industrial use ie stackers etc. so can tolerate an awful lot of abuse.

Reply to
Simon Cochran

I have them fitted in the 2a as do a couple of mates with buckets.

assuming you mean these that VWP sell:

under the 'power connectors' section. fit one permentanty to you battery and tuck it unsder the passenger seat when not in use.

Then buy set of jump leads and cut in half to use with the other connector.

Reply to
Tom Woods

"Mark Solesbury" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Simon is spot on a former customer supplies them ( didn't lose them they transferred to Bradford)

click on the connectors pdf for details.Derek

Reply to
Derek

What ampage have you got?

What the max when jumping a vehicle? They seem to go from 50 to 200?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

sell:

I use these ones. I put one onto the s3, one onto the disco, and then acquired a set of leads out of the back of an AA van (ahem - legitimately!)

I then made up

2 sets of croc clips with plug 1 LONG cable with plug at each end

this means I can go

Disco ----- s3

or

anything ------ disco or anything ------ s3

or lastly

anything ----- anything (by putting croc clips at each end)

Quite pleased with the end result, and they generally seem to get used at least twice a week helping some poor soul at the station car park

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

it takes alot of amps to start a diesel engine. glow plugs alone pull a lot! I'd cater for 100A's or so.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

And real good jump leads too... lord knows what my cable origionally came from on my home made leads but it bend the crock clips if not supported and requires jubilee clips to keep the lead secured to the clips.

Crap leads will either do a impression of a electric cheese wire or just fail to deliver completely.

I find most cheap lead sets the likes I've purchased in the past from Halfrauds to be utter crap.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

If it is really rigid then it could be the mains cable you use for the incoming feed in a house. This is what my 2A is using! :)

VWP sell some really high spec flexy cable which should make pretty sweet jump leads. Im using it in the 101 and my car now where the battery isnt particularily near to the engine (its in the boot of the car) and they both start well.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I bought some HD ends from BSP at Coventry and fastened them on two 6ft lengths of 400 amp welding cable. Been using them for years, if it doesn't start with them it isn't going to, or it's seized up.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability.

Reply to
vertuas

X-Eng do something very much like this. Costs about £60 but saves the fiddling around youself and propabablylastlonf#gerthena three sets of £20 booster cables.

Cheers

Blippie

-- Ten minutes of this rain will do more good in half an hour than a fortnight of ordinary rain in a month.

Reply to
Blippie

Hi Mark,

I fitted 2 of the 175Amp ones to the front of the passenger seat box in my 90. One is connected to my starter battery, the other to my secondary leisure battery. I used welder cable for the wiring and kept it as short as possible. I suppose you could use the next size up but they are huge! It's worth getting the push-on covers for the plugs as well, to keep the crud out.

My jump leads are a very heavy duty set with the croc clips at one end replaced with another Anderson plug.

Neil

Neil