Andy Macnab

Anybody else see the Tour of Duty programme this week featuring the Snatch landies of

1 Royal Horse Artillery . I reckon I would need tranquillisers for a month after sitting in a Landy with half of Bazra's nutters shooting small arms at me let alone what 1RHA had to endure- a bunch of heroes and no doubt in my mind. Derek
Reply to
Derek

(Sorry for not snipping) It was the RHAs who started the petition to reinstate the 101, or updated version, for field use. I have the original (not copy) letter telling LR that MOD would not be buying

101v2. All RHAs (7th Reg particularly) have balls of steel.
Reply to
.mother

That's the 101 ride for you.....

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Well considering the pile of s**te it was replaced with, the Reynolds or something, I don't blame them, I sometimes see them up for auction, usually for several auctions in a row ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yes, and uniquely their balls of steel are welded on rather than bolted.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Oh, yes! Nice one.

Reply to
Dougal

But be careful, if they get pitted, all the lube falls out.

Steve

Reply to
steve

I believe the usual solution is to cup them in leather pouches.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Missed the TV programme but if anyone wants to get a real soldiers eye view of a tour in Iraq then I recommend a book called "Sniper One" by (Sgt) Dan Mills of 1PWRR (ISBN: 978-0-141-02901-6)

Andy McNab's comment on the cover says "One of the best first-hand accounts of combat I've ever read"

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Wed, 18 Jun 2008 23:01:57 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

Reynolds Boughton. Looked like a dodge-renault on steroids.

On the face of it, looked a decent truck. Aren't the having Pinzies next time around, for the TUL(HD) and TUM role?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Apparently much derided as unsuitable for just about anything it was asked to do, although that's about all the detail I have on it! I rarely saw them on the A303, never saw any 101FCs, saw quite a few pinzes, all this in the last 5 years or so (since I moved into the A303's catchment area).

Possibly, although I'd heard from a chap connected to the factory that the latest revision of the pinz has been pushed too far with regards to payload capability and may not actually end up being produced. That's unconfirmed rumour at the moment, apparently when off-road, the body is breaking away from the mounting points if the truck is fully loaded to its maximum payload, which is 3.8 tonnes compared to the unladen weight of 2.5-3 tonnes, being able to carry 1.3 tonnes more than your own weight is pretty good but it seems it might have been asking too much. We'll see if they can it or actually fix the issue, or just downgrade the spec. Or indeed if the whole rumour is just bunk!

As it is, the current model pinz is still being used for gun tractor work, although from the look of it they've seen sense and are mostly using the 6x6 instead of the 4x4 (which wasn't really up to it). They've stopped making the current model recently, so if the new one gets canned and they don't re-tool for the current model then they'll be looking for a replacement again!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Partly bunk, partly unrealistic expectations.

I think the quote said something like:

We can do on spec We can do on time We can do on budget

Please choose two from the list above.

Reply to
.mother