angel eye headlights

Evening all

Noticed these while browsing ebay local to me:

Headlights with the sidelight in a halo around the headlight, like wot them thar BMW things have.

Anyone tried them?

Reply to
wayne

Is it me? In the UK it is law that you use dipped beam headlights at all times at night and during inclement weather, so what are these for? Perhaps to make you look as stupid as those that drive with their front fog lights on in good visibility.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

On or around Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:40:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@lardrover.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

first thing that strikes me about them is that the main lamp has to be smaller than standard.

I rather got the impression that the BMW ones were a ring of LEDs, but that could be a false impression.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@lardrover.co.uk at snipped-for-privacy@lardrover.co.uk wrote on 30/12/03 10:40 pm:

Sounds a bit fancy for me... mind you, maybe they'd look good on a 'soooo macho' Lara 90 ;-)

Reply to
David Sillitoe

A real Mini used to have the position-light bulb inside the headlamp reflector, and some reckoned the bigger reflector made it easier to see. A lot of modern cars do something similar.

As long as the position is OK under C&U regs, and the unit is EU- approved, if it looks good, do it.

Reply to
David G. Bell

"Bob Hobden" schreef in bericht news:bst348$16u56$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-93475.news.uni-berlin.de...

Here, here!

Reply to
aghasee

snipped-for-privacy@lardrover.co.uk posted ...

IMHO they'll make your Landrover look like a BMW ... from about 20 miles away, if you squint and someone's poked you in the eye a few seconds earlier ....

And the BMW's that I've seen with these lights all seem to be driven by dickheads .. ;)

They seem to serve no purpose than make the lights look like BMW's. I see no good reason for fitting them, but it's your choice .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Weeeeeeeell....

I'm hoping they'll look alright on either a Land Rover V8 'Trike' - or maybe on Grumble :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

True enough...

Exactly, brand identity or whatever... for the same sort of people who are impressed by Audi TT's ;-)

Reply to
David Sillitoe

I did a couple of laps of Oulton Park in a friend's TT. And I wasn't...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

The last thing I would want to do is to try and make my Land Rover look like a BMW. One of the most over rated makes. IMHO

Reply to
Richard

There's only one thing worse than that, when they drive with only 1 fog light on, cos they can't even be arsed to check that the lights they shouldn't be using do work

Alex

Reply to
Alex

You're planning on a trike with two headlights???

Or you have two trikes.....

Or you intend to throw one half of the set away???

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yup, but there needs to be something like 30cm between them. I'm also having a go at getting the S2 front rad grill to fit in front of the V8, behind which I intend to sit... :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Unless the law's changed recently[1], you're only obliged to use sidelights. Headlights are optional.

Reply to
QrizB

Ok, each to his or her own. I have a landy (1983 3.9V8 110) which I love and cherish, it's probably had more dosh thrown at it in the 11 years I've owned it than it cost new! I also own a 1999 5-series bmw which I also love, but for different reasons, namely the ability to complete any journey over normal roads without worrying about what bit might break/fall off/let me down etc. etc. It's purely a case of horses for courses with me, the beemer would be hopeless on anything more than a dusting of snow, but on the other hand the landy wouldn't be the vehicle of choice if I was going on a 500 mile round trip. Anyway, happy new year to one and all. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Twas Thu, 1 Jan 2004 09:58:04 -0000 when "Badger" put finger to keyboard producing:

I've taken landies on lengthy round-trips of around 3000 miles and found them more comfortable than cars. of an I strange?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Looks like another e-bay bargain! sold for £49 + £9.50 p+p = £58.50 . Currently for sale in Halfords at £49.99 !!!

Tony

Reply to
apk1

I'd been looking at the ones in Halfords and I think they're different altogether. I did see some others (Durite I seem to recall) but these didn't look 'right' for what I am planning to use them for. The all in one unit will save me valuable space and I really don't want additional sidelights.

(and with 45 'paypal quid' to use, they've cost me less than 15 quid really). :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

From my Highway Code which is a few years old. Rule 93. You MUST... .use headlights at night, except on restricted roads ( those with street lights not more than 185 metres apart and which are generally subject to a speed limit of 30mph) .use headlights when visibility is seriously restricted ***(see Rule 201) .ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit at night. [laws RVLR regs 24 &25 & RV(R&L)R reg 19]

Rule 94. You MUST NOT... .use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users. .use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced***. You MUST switch then off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users. (see also Rule 211) [law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

Rule 95. You should also.... . use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen. .....

*** defined in Rule 201 as not being able to see more than 100 metres.
Reply to
Bob Hobden