Another Defender 90 Propshaft Question...Advice sought.

Well last night so the return of the do-it-all tool, aka Hi-Lift Jack to split the prop!

Finally got the thing appart to reveal lots of muddy grease. Once all that was gone and everything was clean, despite looking in great condition things still wouldn't slide together.

The male side also looks in fairly good condition, all the nylon sleeve is intact.

A quick finger feel revealed surface rust / pitting on the female side of the splines. 10 minutes later after rubbing with the least abrasive things I could find (some green felty stuff frum under her kitchen sink!!) and things started to slide a bit better.

Lots of grease later and its almost like new - How long for though I dont know, I guess I'll have to check it in a month or so to see if the rust is coming back.

At least its saved me £75 for now!

Have Fun and thanks for the good tips.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

...and Simon Isaacs spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

And me. I swear the b*stard has been watching me.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Richard Brookman uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Today, I have

Checked the laguna Pads Refitted the Diff lock actuator on the 101 (It works, it works!) relocated the accelerator cable on the 101 and welded new lever to the pedal (It works too!) resealed the roof and replaced roof pannel in the 101

I've not got wet... not scarred and not cut... boy am I going to pay for this! Still has been a while since I managed to stab my self in the eye with long nosed pliers having slipped off a split pin and loosing my balance whilst stooping under the wheel arch of the old Rangie.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:06:06 +0000 (UTC), Jon enlightened us thusly:

I've always found that a good quality (mine are britool) 9/16 ring spanner will do 'em. not quite as handy as the cunning socket, mind. I might look into a 3/8 drive socket; I already have a wobbly extension bar. I reckon a

3/8 drive socket would get in there.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I bought the special tool. But you are right. i couldn't find the damned thing when I needed it, so used a socket turning the prop shaft using the wheel method to get the correct angle.

As soon as I'd finished the job, I found the tool again....

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Yep - wobbly extension and a thin-walled full hex socket works well. Time for you to hunt down the Snap-On tools man Austin.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:45:40 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

nah. Snap-on cost an arm and a leg.

actually, the "lifetime guarantee" tools from Halfords are quite impressive. I buy tools from all manner of places, and apart from coming unstuck occasionally with things that aren't as good as they should be, mostly they're OK - I tend to look at the quality of the manufacture - decent tools generally are sharp, smooth and shiny in the places they should be and not these things where they shouldn't. cheap crap tools are often not sharp or smooth where they should be.

Which ain't to say that if I win the lottery I wouldn't go out and buy a full set of snap-on, they're very good. But too expensive for me in the normal run of things.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Granted - but they make about the thinnest wall sockets that are readily available (and they work on UJ nuts) - hence the reason I suggested them.

If (after 25 odd years of amassing them) I sold my collection of tools I'd be able to buy new Defender (or maybe two). But as you say, a lottery win (or in my case a small inheritance as I was doing my apprenticeship) is a bit of a necessity if one is going to patronise the Snap-On man terribly often.

Reply to
EMB

Wot 'e sez, my 9/16" deep single hex 3/8" drive socket has undone literally hundreds of props over the years and it's still in excellent condition.

Not expensive if you buy the one you need as you need it, no need to go full sets and shiny toolboxes all at one go.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Expensive is all relative - my tool collection is worth about 3 years of a good mechanic's gross wages here (and not a single Snap-On toolbox). Whether you buy that amount of gear piecemeal or not it still hurts the pocket.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Thu, 16 Feb 2006 00:21:45 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

Just got a new toy delivered: more impressive-looking impact gun, from Axminster.

come in a nice placcy case which precludes the gun fitting in it with a suitable adapter to plug the airline into, much less the cunning inline oiler. How clever is that? Actually, I don't think I'll leave the inline oiler on it - looks prone to get damaged; I reckon I'll just squirt oil up it's jacksie every now and then.

The non-performing one has gone back to the seller, who's supposed to be looking at it. I may yet get it back, or a refund, or may not.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Are there really that many heavy duty twins about that you need a special impact air gun for them!

Reply to
GbH

On or around Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:31:21 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

Can't find a picture of one now. There used to be some sod-off V twin motor pacer machines in the old days.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks, I've got one on back order now ...

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

And me. I swear the b*stard has been watching me.

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

One comes to mind Vincent 1000, of corse Arle David's kids.

Reply to
GbH

On or around Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:00:31 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

the ones I was thinking of were bigger than that. likesay, can't find any pictures now. Anzani or somesuch engines.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

...and Karen Gallagher spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

You are so right. Mind you, I tagged it onto a mailing I sent round work and no-one noticed, not even our senior IT technician. He replied to say he had been laughing about it all day. Now I can go up to him and ask why he didn't spot the deliberate mistake. Ho ho.

Reply to
Richard Brookman