Another OT post - help needed on an old lorry (Ford Iveco Cargo)

Good afternoon all

here I am having a lovely Bank Holiday weekend struggling with all things mechanical - new pads on Range Ruster took about 5 minutes :-) but I am having problems with an old Ford Cargo (and yes Simon & Denis it is a horsebox!)

Basically I need to get the rear hubs off (it's a hub brake - not a disc brake version) as the bleed nipples are totally rounded and access to them is very limited. My plan was to pull the hub, remove shoes and then unbolt the entire cylinder from the back plate.

Unfortunately I cannot get the hub off - I'm at the stage where I have the road wheels and half shaft off but I'll be buggered if I can see how you are meant to pull the hub - most likely it's the world's biggest hub puller or a special Ford tool - any ideas anyone?

Failing that - any ideas as to how we could get the rounded nipples off? Tried welding a large nut over the top but the weld will not take properly and breaks off - vice grips cannot reach it nor can I hammer a slightly undersize socket onto the nut to turn it (the nipple is recessed into the back plate somewhat and there is only about 2" free access above it).

Easiest thing would be to whizz it round to the local lorry chap but - yup, no brakes!!

Help

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Have you got all the bearing nuts off? (Silly question) have you got the handbrake off, with the air built up (if you cant build up the air, wind the handbrake chamber off manually)

I assume you're not trying to remove the drum without the hub? If so forget it, they will probably be inseparable, you need to remove the whole assembly.

What age and weight is this thing? If its a horsebox I'm assuming 7.5 tonne, and if so I'm not familiar with the drum setup on these, as they have been disc for a very long time!

Reply to
SimonJ

Hi Simon

I've solved the problem by spot welding a ring spanner onto the bleed nipples and spinning them off with that.

Thanks for your input though - this one is a 1986 drums all round Cargo - I think they went to front discs in about 1988 and then discs all round shortly afterwards. I have part of the Ford Maintenance manual for this one - but just the bit about brakes - sod all about removing the hub. When I pulled the wheels off I was hoping to find an assembly similar to the back of a Landy - drum comes off and then you get at the hub - not on this thing - the whole unit looks like one piece and I couldn't even see any hub nuts let alone remove them - fortunately it has inspection holes in the back plates so you can check the lining wear without getting the drum off.

I'll finish bleeding it out tomorrow and take it for a test drive - it's currently parked on a slope securely wedged by my Series 2a - handy things Land Rovers

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme