Another Series query...

I've driven the S2a to work for a week now, and the main impression is that it is hugely undergeared. At 60, the engine is still pulling quite well, but the noise and general feeling of being on the edge of a disaster makes me keep the speed down. At the same time, first gear is almost redundant - anything other than an uphill start from stationary can be done easily in second. So I'm looking at ways of increasing the gearing to make it more driveable for my everyday needs. (I'm also looking at twiddling the carb - under 15mpg! It is actually cheaper to go to work in the 4.6.)

Options so far seem to be:

  1. Swap diffs for Range Rover items. Current diffs are 4.7:1, and RR are
3.54:1, so I make that an increase in gear ratio of nearly 33%. Proably cheapest option, but raises low range gears as well. In terms of keeping the vehicle reasonably original, it's a reversible modification.

  1. Fit an overdrive - around 27% increase. More expensive. Used items are an unknown quantity, new are nearly 700GBP. Ouch. Overdrives are standard LR fare, so no originality issues.

  2. Go to that nice Mr Ashcroft and get his high-ratio transfer box. Increase in ratio 32% (it says in the advert), more affordable at 270GBP. Slight ouch. Have to exchange old t/box, so not a reversible mod.

Given that I have already decided to fit some 7.50 tyres (approximately 13% increase), what would other folks do? I'm going to wait and see what the

7.50s do to it before I make up my mind, but some sound information would be useful while I am thinking.

Many TIA.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

My S2 was on 750x16, now 235/85 (very similar diameter). The gearing is about right I'd say, although my engine is past its best.

Keeping low ratio low is only important if you are off-roading it. When I've off-roaded mine I've spent most of the day in L1 and L2, so I'd be loath to raise the bottom ratio any higher.

I think you can fit new gears to the existing transfer box without a full exchange. LEGS also do a kit I think.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

wow u get 60 with no overdrive.. blimey at 60 with overdrive mine feels like shes gonna blow!

Reply to
Jason Hall

Actually it was 65 - well, the needle was wavering between 40 and the stop at the top end. And it felt like 165. OK, it was probably 50. Or 45. I'l take the GPS next time :-)

And yes, it felt like it was going to blow. And so did I.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Makes sense. +13% is quite a change and may well be enough. I wonder if the other options (~+30%) would just be too much. Since I'm getting the bigger wheels anyway, I'll give those a try first.

Agreed - which is why the cheapest option (RR diffs) may not be the best.

Thanks for the pointer - I'll give it a look.

Reply to
Richard Brookman
  1. Don't look here....

:-)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Rover 90/P5/whatever diff heads - 4.1 ratio. Still okay in the low box (just) and combined with 750x16's makes 60mph a very happy place to be.

Reply to
EMB

Fine beast! I've bookmarked it for a proper look later.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I once got 74 out of mine, 7.50s, but no o/d. The best thing was I was overtaking a new shape RR at the time too!!

Reply to
Andy Warner

I got 70 out of a Lambretta Scooter once, downhill with the wind behind me, generally speaking Lambrettas were quicker than Landies, with better acceleration and petrol consumption. Didn't get far off road though with them little wheels.

Reply to
Larry

Lightweight, standard engine, standard tyres...

It'll do sixty, but it burns petrol at that speed like it was at 1970 prices.

Reply to
David G. Bell

hiya,

ive got 3.5 diffs in mine, on 7.50 x 16`s with overdrive, and my opinion is that on its own without towing its very driveabl, 85 mph was the top speed, untill i ran out of road, but did feel and sound like it was about to self destruct, No problems round town at all. but towing is a different story, pulling a 1200kg van on the flat is no problem 60 + if i wanted it, show it a hill and she slows down ( only to be expected) but whatever happens never stop on a hill, as the gearings all gone up its a cow bag to get it rolling up hill, clutch slipping isnt good. suppose i could use low box untill i got to the top then stop and go back to high.

i could put 600`s or 205`s on which would help. but as i off road regularly i think im going to put the 4.7`s back in.

but all in all just alter things to suit.

with 205`s on, its as fast as **** , but the top ends about 60 screaming

with 750`s on its rather sluggish setting off, but the top ends brill.

andy

Reply to
Andy

Sound like a plan...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I have in the past been stuck behind coal lorries going up hill and for what it is worth they wernt going any faster than a landie in low ratio.

Reply to
Larry