Another springy question

Right, I now have a pair of standard springs (see earlier thread about broken rear spring on a RRC. Thank you very much Paddock; £50 including next-day-panic delivery and we'll take them back if thay are wrong. These were ordered after a chat with Mr WBH who is trying to retire. He has none in stock, but could possibly have a pair made - but doubtless not for £50.

I'm hoping that the Paddock springs do not raise the rear of the vehicle such that I can't get into my local tip.

Anyway, which way up do the springs go? Close coils at the top or the bottom???

Tia Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

The automotive norm is close coils at the top.

Reply to
EMB

I put my new springs in close coils at the top as I couldn't get the little retainer plate between the coils if the close coils were at the bottom.

Just make sure you get the DS and PS the right way around.. :)

Macca

Reply to
Macca

On or around Thu, 9 Sep 2004 00:13:40 +1000, "Macca" enlightened us thusly:

they seem to be fitted close-down originally, although as you say, this makes it difficult. close-up works equally well on mine, and I can;t see any reason not to fit 'em that way up. technically, I guess, the "soft" part of the spring is the close bit, and to compress this the force has to go up the non-close bit, but I seriously doubt that this makes a noticeable difference in practice. for large values of compression, the close bit gets coilbound and thus ceases to be part of the spring anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Mmm, I'm fitting a pair of NRC8113 which my manual lists as the standard RHD rear spec.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

On or around Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:18:36 +0100, Richard Savage enlightened us thusly:

they vary as to whether there's a side-to-side difference. the HD 90 ones I settled on for the disco rear do, but not all sets do.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Springs changed with no increase in ride height . For those whose Sunday's lack excitement there are three pictures here:

Judging from the rust on the fracture; I have been driving around blissfully unaware of the broken spring for a long time. Still, at least the annoying rattle has gone ;-)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage