Another veggie oil thread

The economics are attractive enough and I've read the comments about the immediate effects on performance etc, but has anybody in here run SVO long enough to be able to provide evidence on experiences over several years? I'm cautious as I've read that engine life is reduced, although this could be propaganda voiced by those who have a vested interest in selling mineral fuels, whatever the website says.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Bowers

I ran a P*j*ro for over a year on SVO alone with absolutely no adverse effects, but when I got my _proper_ 4x4 I went back to pure diesel - I too cant remember where, but heard that the 200Tdi pump in the 110 was somehow less happy to run veggie than the Mitsu was.

Reply to
Doug Baiter

Not completely OT, but I am wondering...

If I use 50/50 diesel/veg oil in my transit, can I put all my Lidl receipts through my business? !!

I don't pay VAT, but will the IR notice, say, £2k of supermarket food receipts and ask why I am claiming them as a business expense? and.. When I tell them, will they automatically inform C&E?

-- Pontins History E-Mail: snipped-for-privacy@pontinshistory.co.uk Please visit

Skype ID (instant messaging and video calls): howie10

Reply to
Howie

Claim them as subsistance.

Reply to
Nige

Hi

I have posted to the group a couple of times giving my experiences.

In case you have not seen them I have been running my RRC with a 200dti engine on nothing but pure SVO for three years this coming March. It is actually Rapeseed Oil from a local crushing plant, delivers 500l at a time.

Although I have a two tank system installed I have never used any diesel. I live by the coast so do not normally have frosts and so far have never had a problem starting. On the button every time.

It does have more power and is quieter with better mpg.

However I purposely had a 200tdi since there are is no computer or complicated energy management systems.

A number of people have mentioned electrical heaters but I was told that it was a waste of money as the heat is lost as the oil travels to the pump and the pump is full of cold oil anyway.

Also mixing significant svo and diesel in the tank can also be a problem since when the mixture cools in the pump the oil separates out and causes problems.

If the weather is really cold you really need the second tank of diesel to start the heat process going. It would only be needed in the morning if there is a severe frost.

Hope this helps Persheen

Reply to
Persheen

I didn't know they did the RRC with a 200tdi engine? I thought it was a 300, but that's prolly me bieng tick man.

Reply to
Nige

Well spotted, though as I understand it a few were produced. However mine came from a Disco 1 ( I believe ) to replace a blown v8. I started to look for economy and affordability rather than lose it. Actually it is not bad. However if I dop into 4th to "blast" up a hill I do notice that anyone right up behind me does back off a little (or a bit more than a little)

cheers

Reply to
Persheen

>> Cheers Graham

You've seen one of these (factory fitted) when I dropped you that part dizzy a while ago. It's what I was in at the time.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

If you are using anything for your business it goes through your busines= s books (ish...). B-)

Unless the IR have a habit of inspecting you they won't see em on the ta= x return or on your accounts. It might be worth having, for your records, =

how much SVO you have bought as "fuel" and how much it cost. See below.

Same government department now, HM Revenue & Customs. There is a "small =

producer" excemption from paying duty on less than 2,500l of "fuel" per =

(rolling?) year. Dig back in this group for a relatively recent discussi= on on this, and IIRC links to the relevant HMR&C page(s). You sort of need = to prove your "small producer status" so having records of how much you hav= e bought/spent is useful.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Fri, 30 Nov 2007 01:47:53 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

My understanding is that provided you keep records, you shouldn't have problems with HMC&E if you're under the 2500l. You don't have to be "producing" biodiesel.

must hunt suppliers of oil in decent amounts, and a big funnel.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thats probably because they are all pulling over to visit the chippy as your exhaust made them feel hungry! ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

After the laning session on the unnoffical in August, the first place everyone headed for was the chippy, and everyone took it in turns to follow my veggie oil disco!

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Simon Isaacs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Which reminds me.. anyone recommend a windscreen degreaser ?

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Heheheh ... as an aside to that ... Do you still have the videos of that trip?

My hard drive went west a couple of months ago, I thought it was backed up, but alas no, so if you, or anyone else, could point to a couple of URL's to download the videos of us all fording I'd be most appreciative.

Well, to the tune of a beer or two at the next unofficial ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

|On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:11:00 +0000, Howie wrote: | |> If I use 50/50 diesel/veg oil in my transit, can I put all my |> Lidl receipts through my business? !! | |If you are using anything for your business it goes through your business |books (ish...). B-) | |> I don't pay VAT, but will the IR notice, say, £2k of supermarket |> food receipts and ask why I am claiming them as a business |> expense? and.. | |Unless the IR have a habit of inspecting you they won't see em on the tax |return or on your accounts. It might be worth having, for your records, |how much SVO you have bought as "fuel" and how much it cost. See below. | |> When I tell them, will they automatically inform C&E? | |Same government department now, HM Revenue & Customs. There is a "small |producer" excemption from paying duty on less than 2,500l of "fuel" per |(rolling?) year. Dig back in this group for a relatively recent discussion |on this, and IIRC links to the relevant HMR&C page(s). You sort of need to |prove your "small producer status" so having records of how much you have |bought/spent is useful.

Interesting, that. Thanks. I don't 'produce' anything. But I presume that 'small producer' means 'small business'. I wasn't aware of the 2,500 L of fuel PA rule. Does this mean I can claim the duty back on my diesel over the last year?

Reply to
Howie

No it means that you are using something bought without duty as fuel in a road vehicle. You don't actually have to make (produce) the stuff you can buy it from where ever.

No, it's in relation to the amount of something bought without duty used as fuel in a road vehicle.

As I said dig back in this group for previous threads that contain links to the relevant pages on the HMr&C site.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

|On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 11:59:13 +0000, Howie wrote: | |> I don't 'produce' anything. But I presume that 'small producer' means |> 'small business'. | |No it means that you are using something bought without duty as fuel in a |road vehicle. You don't actually have to make (produce) the stuff you can |buy it from where ever. | |> I wasn't aware of the 2,500 L of fuel PA rule. Does this mean I can |> claim the duty back on my diesel over the last year? | |No, it's in relation to the amount of something bought without duty used |as fuel in a road vehicle. | |As I said dig back in this group for previous threads that contain links |to the relevant pages on the HMr&C site.

Thanks Dave. Sorry for being a bit thick!

Good info though. Much appreciated.

H.

Reply to
Howie

You tube and search "afl unofficial" - that threw some up last time I was on there :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Doh !! feckin' obvious, really. Thanks Lee, I'd tried AFL and got American Football, unofficial landrover, landrover group, Alt.fan.landrover, allsorts 'cept the bleedin' obvious.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

or look for user simoni210277