"Anti-Lock Brake" idiot light on '97 Discovery...

Hello!

Just bought a used (1-owner) '97 LR Discovery; I have a great shop that handles most maintenance/repairs, but they've hit a snag...

The "Anti-Lock Brake" light is on and their computer will diagnose everthing, EXCEPT that particular circuit. New pads all around, so that's not the problem.

The local dealer wants $95 USD just to plug in and see what's not correct. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm of the impression that their service writer should be wearing a mask.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

Fred Wright in Aiken, SC snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Reply to
Fred Wright

That is the only option realy to get its faults read .

or

you could they changing the abs sensors on each wheel at a time BUT if you have to pay for them just to try for testing i would just recomend you get the fault codes read instead

Reply to
bellautos

Clean and re-position the sensors, carefully, they are easy to break.... This sorted out mine.

Regards Sean

Reply to
Landynut

hi, If you send me your e-mail i'll forward you a method to test the sensors out one by one. you can either do this yourself or get your local garage to do it! Need a multi-meter tho.

Jinx

Reply to
Jinx

A common problem. Go to

for lots of discussion on this. Pulling out my sensors, cleaning and reinserting until they bottomed out did not correct my problem. After driving cars for 30 years that did not have ABS I decided I could manage without it. I just pulled out the 5 amp fuse to prevent the ABS from doing weird things but maybe one day, when I'm feeling rich, I'll visit the LR dealer to find out what he problem is. (When I feel like paying $450US for a sensor)

Reply to
Gordon Wedman

Sometimes this happens because of a tempory problem with a sensor and it has actually fixed (or reset)itself long before it gets to the garage for resetting. I have found that disconnecting the battery for a few hours sorts a number of these problems. Apparently it kills the memory and allows it to be reset. However if there is a problem with a sensor it will come back on again.

Good luck

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Hogan