Anti urban 4x4 campaign

Heads up- next weeks BBC Watchdog programme will feature an anti 4x4 slot. Can't wait to see balanced a bit of reportint this will be.....

Nevillef

"David Grierson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

> > Hi, > > Just thought I'd post to say that the "Anti urban 4x4 campaign" appears to > be getting a bit more publicity out there so it might be apt for people to > start promoting sites (especially) like
> > Cheers, > > Dg. > >
Reply to
nevillef

bugger, I'm going to be 'on the road' all next week.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

In message , DavidM writes

But when Clarkson took a Disco III up a mountain the antis still complained.

Reply to
hugh

Reply to
Wolverine

And all the sports cars halfway up the armco with any luck. Don't see many rent a celebs complaining about racy type cars.

I'd like to see a well taken photo of a 4X4 being used to repair the damage done solely by Ramblers, or installing the matting used to slow down (as opposed to prevent) the wear and tear done by feet up mountains.

Reply to
wayne

In message , Wolverine writes

I had the same feeling. Whether he should have been there in the first place was a legitimate argument but from the driving point of view he cut up what was a *very* soft surface far less than the moron on Channel

5 cut up the green lane ... Even when it sunk he didn't have things spinning wildly to get it out again ...
Reply to
AJG

In message , AJG writes

And the ruts will probably have disappeared by now. Also not nearly as irresponsible as some of the Mitsubishi adverts.

Reply to
hugh

What exactly are these damned idiots objecting to? The size of our 4x4's because if so Jags, Mercs, Rollers, Lexus, estate cars in general are all longer, some heavier and all as wide as the humble 4x4.

Reply to
cyberwraith

In message , cyberwraith writes

Obviously you haven't been concentrating. The argument is fundamentally that 4x4 vehicles are too scary. They intimidate terribly when you're driving your Sinclair Smart car ... unlike 44ton artics or Irish-registered, pollutant-pumping, double-decker buses which, whilst gently caressing your rear bumper at 60mph, are both friendly and cuddly as they are only two wheel drive ...

4x4s also contribute to accidents - how many Ford Kas have been in accidents because a Range Rover driver mistook them for a traffic calming measure and drove over them ... ?
Reply to
AJG

Mostly I've heard them complaining that we are more likely to kill a pedestrian than they are, cause more damage to their cars due to extra weight, more likely to punch one in the mouth (or is that just me?).

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Well this afternoon some kind soul in her silver Vauxhall Corsa decided to cut me up in my Disco! I hit the brakes hard and swerved, just missing her. I called over that maybe she should have used her mirrors, indicators and even maybe should have been in the correct lane. So in my opinion these small cars are more likely to cause damage to my poor defenceless Disco. Or next time I might just go over the stupid sod. Look at it this way if they are complaining against us in our 4x4's then they are giving some other poor soul a rest. As far as celebs getting involved they should first practice what they preach. It is still a 'free' country and I will drive my god damned 4x4 and smoke my damned cigar!

Reply to
cyberwraith

Well, I have to admit our Rangie contributed to an accident. I mean if I hadn't been driving along a main road when the retard in the Rover coupe came flying out of a side road and didn't even look let alone stop..well he would never have run into me. He fully admitted not looking and on a quick examination of his windows his glass was all misted up anyway... still would have thought headlights at 6.30 am would have been a bit of a clue as to the presence of something approaching, but no.

My only thoughts after the event were casting my mind back to 1995 when I made the choice between getting seriously into motorcyles but in the end opted for a Rangie V8 instead. I feel now that it was a decision that saved my life or at the least kept me from being very seriously injured. I'd love a motorbike but while there are fools like this on the road I dare not take the chance.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I was in the supermarket carpark yesterday, parked next to what BMW alleges is a "Mini". My Land Rover is shorter and narrower.

(I learnt to drive on a genuine Mini. You had to be careful not to drop te wheel in a rut, but it would have handled many green lanes. I wonder what these idiots would think of a Mini Moke.)

Reply to
David G. Bell

I wonder how many of us on this NG have or have had motorbikes? Count me in, TZR125, TZR250RR Kocinski Replica and then FZR400RR Exup...then the kids came along!!! I passed my car test first then my bike test. I had Landrovers then went to bikes and after a couple of normal cars; back to Landrovers. After riding a bike I have always felt that a length of time riding a motorbike or scooter would benefit everyone before learning in a car, certainly for teenager learner drivers...lots of youths have scooters in Holland for example. Wolverine Big Red 110CSW

Reply to
Wolverine

Wolverine composed the following;:

We only have two at the moment, a 1991 Fantic 307 Trials and a 1979 Beamish Suzuki, both 250's, both awesome off-road.

Fantic's nice and nimble, quick and light for my sons to ride, the Beamish is a Tree-Stump puller, big heavy and a bastard power band, but with loads of torque and grip ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I used to have a motorbike, a humble Honda CM 125 Custom. I was saving for a Goldwing but some pillock cut me off, took me out and that is why I am disabled! I now drive my Disco which has been cut up several times by little cars who claim not to have seen me! I think that just maybe my bull bars are going to start acumulating little car icons for every pillock who cuts up, cuts in or just plain ignores the rules of the road. I could quite easily puch my way through traffic but I behave myself, this is a trait that is on the verge of changing.

Reply to
cyberwraith

So Wolverine was, like

In no particular order, Honda 50, Honda 90, Suzi GT250, Jawa 350*, Yam XT350 (x2), Yam RD350LC, Guzzi V50II, Suzi GSX750F, and probably no more. The roads have just got too scary, and I like to have a Landy bodywork around me these days. :-)

  • uuuuuurrrrrrrgggggggggh
Reply to
Richard Brookman

Used to have as a teenager CB125T, CB125T Superdream, GS250T, KH250 (x2), XL185S, RD350YPVS (x2) XR350R, Most of those at the same time because the Norwich Union rider policy let me have loads of bikes up to 350cc. CX500 (cough, no-one ever got piles riding one of those), KH400, KMX200. In them days I used to moan about riders who used their cars a lot instead of riding, 'course, didn't have a car myself so didn't know any better :) The daft thing was that car insurance at that age was just as daft as it is today so the bikes really were a good option and much more fun, didn;t know about Land Rover ownership back then, wish I had got into it then when the nice military stuff was becoming available.

Currently got Can-Am Bombardier 250, Armstrong MT500 (x4) BMW R90. All made so much easier by the classic military policy that lets you have many at a brilliant rate. Note that there is nothing fast in the current lot, too scary out there with drum brakes on the front.

Might actually get them out to play with this summer, getting soft in my old age, hmm, think I was always this soft :)

Reply to
wayne

currently (93)RD350Rypvs (79)GS550E

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

In message , Angus McCoatup writes

I went GS125, XS250, GS550, Z750L1 (still have, off the road at present), GSX1400 (Current) and am thinking of changing the GSX for a KTM640 if I can find a good one.

Will Defender 110 300TDi CSW 1998

Reply to
Will Wilkinson