anybody have a sequential LPG conversion

are the solenoids noisy?

what are the benefits over a single point system?

Cheers

Reply to
StaffBull

On or around Sun, 3 Jul 2005 15:52:06 +0100, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

better matching to modern engine management, potentially more accurate fuel control, no risk of backfires blowing up modern plastic manifold/plenum on engines thus equipped.

apart from that, not much, and they cost more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have an OMVL Dream. It runs as well on Gas as Petrol. Even when using sport mode on auto. I converted it from a single point system which I wasn't very happy with. I couldn't get it to work very well.

You can just about hear the injectors clicking when your head is burried under bonnet.You can't hear a thing when bonnet is shut.

Hope this helps

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

Thanks Gents, sequential it is then ( going on a Jag 3.2 XJ)

Reply to
StaffBull

have ye had a quote for fitting such or are you doint it yourself... or shoudl I be asking this elsewhere :o(

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Why do I suspect the answer is "Lots"

I've been pricing around for an LPG conversion for my Lexus - V8 with a plastic plenum - and I'm getting quotes in the £2k range vs less than 1k for the Range Rover when asked.

Sequential LPG costs £££

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:58:54 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

This is why I reckon it's only worth fitting if you have an engine that really needs it. The gains in efficiency compared to closed loop single point *IF* the latter is set up properly are slight, and it'll take a long time to pay for it, if ever.

Now, if you could set up liquid-phase gas injection, it'd be more likely to give better results - would also not need a vapouriser. I keep wondering about trying this in a petrol injection system - the old Bosch K-jet runs at about 5 bar, ISTR, which is not that far off LPG liquid pressure. It'd need recalibrating, is the main drawback, which would probably preclude runnign on petrol. However, that doesn't mean you can't have a second injection system which is what you get anyway with SGI.

Dunno if anyone's doing anything in this respect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Paul, £1500 for the sequential in the Jag, 95 lt torroidal in the boot

Reply to
StaffBull

2 fewer cylinders tho :@)

For some reason I suddenly want to replace the Lexus with an XJ-S again - anybody want to swap?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I've been told to go for a 735 beemer instead by a mechanic - he said the Jag would just rust before my eyes

My sensible head says he's right and go for the beemer - but i love the look of the post 95 XJ !!!!!!

Decisions decisions!!!

Reply to
StaffBull

you'd not catch me in a fecking beemer mate. you know it makes sense. now, about that V12....

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

True, if I bought the beemer I'd only keep if for a couple of months I don't really want one - it just makes for a better buy than the jag reliability wise. I'm sticking with the 3.2 though - should give me 40 MPG + on Lpg !!! :-)

Reply to
StaffBull

Yea.. but... V12....

Looks like I'll be going for the 3.2 on LPG also, intending to keep it for 5 years or so. Hopefully get something land rover for the play when the budget allows.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

My 95 XJR was pretty reliable and had no rust. Parts were horribly expensive (£1100 for an exhaust system for example).

Only fault was when the gearbox decided it was broken (it wasn't) and stuck itself in third gear. Amusingly, performance was virtually unaffected!

V8 version would have been even better - more powerful and 5 speed instead of 4.

7 Series was utterly soulless and uninteresting by comparison.
Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I've got a 3 series (2001 E46) with the 3 litre diesel and steptronic

5-speed autobox, it is definitely NOT soul-less and uninteresting!! 0-60 in 8 seconds, 38mpg local running, corners like it's on rails! Must admit, never driven a 7 series, bit too barge-like for my tastes. Badger. P.S. the 330dSE is for sale, bought a disco2!
Reply to
Badger

Chalk and cheese IMHO. I've never thought the BMW feel of sportiness and balance worked well in the 7 - it's neither agile like a BMW nor imperious like a Jag / Merc. The 3's and 5's I've driven have been superb, although I've not tried any of Bangle's creations. If the dealers weren't such cretins I'd have owned one of each by now, but as I refuse to believe owning any car is 'an honour' (as Merc and BMW seem to think) I cannot seem to have a sensible discussion with them.

New 3 remains very tempting - the 2 litre diesel is a match for Audi's

2.5. I'll probably hang on and see what they come up with as a larger diesel for it, especially in Touring guise. There's allegedly a petrol 335 with turbo coming out which is almost on par with the last M3 for power.

XJR is available for pocket money (well, not quite) - V8 worth the extra but the 6 is still very swift. Worth having if only to upset Impreza drivers with. Awesome pace and really easy to drive. No room inside, horrendous costs for dealer service and drinks like a rabid dog...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Jag 3.2 Sport just bought!!! eBay!! Picking it up on Wednesday, 96 on a P ( X300 type) only got 58K on it :-)

The V8 Disco has gone today :-( so I am now officially a lurker!!!! No LR on the drive ------ for now

Reply to
StaffBull

Does the jag 3.2 run a timing belt or chain ?

Reply to
StaffBull

On or around Fri, 8 Jul 2005 23:54:24 +0100, "StaffBull" enlightened us thusly:

Mine will be soon as well. Supposedly sold, just have to arrange a suitable time for its collection.

Reply to
Austin Shackles