anybody have a sequential LPG conversion

On or around Sat, 09 Jul 2005 07:22:07 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. email today about "have just realised how far it is, will have to arrange something re: collection" followed by another (about 3 hours later) from the woman's husband saying she'd just had an epileptic fit (having not done so for 2 years) and won't now be wanting to buy, and please don't give negative feedback.

well now. The timing is rather handy. but even granting that it's fully legit, they've still agreed to buy it. I'm prepared to be flexible about collection if their circumstances are currently difficult, but if they don't buy it they get a negative, I'm afraid. If my circumstances suddenly changed after I'd contracted to buy something, I'd not expect that this would be viable as a reason not to complete the deal.

Nor was there any secrecy about where the motor is located.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Pretty stupid to bid on anything that needs collecting without being very aware of where it is and being sure you can collect it within a reasonable time. ebay - brain optional.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

On or around Sat, 09 Jul 2005 20:46:06 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

would be, indeed, although it does appear after a further email that it's genuine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

To make things more amicable - I'd ask for the listing plus final fee to be paid, did you have anyone bid a lower amount? second chance offer ?

Reply to
StaffBull

Such is life on ebay. If someone changes their mind about a deal, contract law notwithstanding, a bit of negative feedback probably won't sway them

I'm a bit miffed to find that I was bidding against the seller (probably) for the Sprite. A bit of negative feeback won't sway me from walking away (I'm going to sleep on it first).

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

so Tim Hobbs was, like...

Most won't worry too much about contract law, unless the amounts involved are substantial. Are you really going to take someone to court for a grand or so? And that assumes they are in your own jurisdiction and you are able to do so without involving international lawyers. :-)

The only neg feedback I have had came as a result of a guy in California who had won a Nikon I was selling and pulled out (or rather disappeared from view and didn't reply to any contact) when I told him what the shipping cost would be from UK. I gave him a couple of weeks and then gave him neg feedback (of the "warning - avoid" kind) and he responded with neg feedback to me. Totally unjustified, but it's there for ever now. If I get positives for evey transaction from now until the end of time, I will still never have 100%. This irritates me, and it wasn't really worth it for the temporary satisfaction of typing a negative and seeing it in his profile.

I'd be inclined to take this on the chin and relist. You won't pay final fees if you do this - you will only have lost the listing fee and a bit of time. Or go to your second bidder with an offer. You would have the satisfaction of relisting with a cutting "relisted to to utter timewasting w*nker" in the description, and your original winning bidder can't respond.

I reckon eBay works well, on the whole, but I take it for what it is - dealing with unknowns, where anything can happen, and accept that occasionally people don't behave as well as they should.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:07:09 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

Well, I'll give 'em a bit of leeway - likesay, after further email I'm reasonably convinced it is genuine. I said 10 days to complete the deal on the listing anyway, and provided it's paid for, I'm willing to be more flexible about collection.

I's be inclined to put a negative (or maybe neutral) but with comments suitable to the case rather than slagging off, in any case.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

so Austin Shackles was, like...

The negative I gave explained why (at least, as well as the 80-character limit allows), but that didn't stop the guy retaliating. I assume that's what it was, as he had no cause for complaint otherwise. I specifically said in the description for non-UK buyers to contact me for shipping costs, but he sniped a winning bid in at the last minute and I never heard from him again. Point is, however reasonable and justified, a negative is a negative and a lot of people will be very upset at getting one. If they decide to mess you about with a tit-for-tat, there isn't a lot you can do. Ask yourself, is it worth it? I'd be inclined to leave a neutral, especially if you think there is some justification to their lack of ability to follow through. If they are reasonable people, they'll be OK with that.

'Tis a tricky one.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

FWIW I think that's the right move, at the very least they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

so Richard Brookman was, like...

Don't forget the karma thing as well - what goes around comes around.

I relisted the camera and sold to a really nice guy, Army Major with a stunning wife who met me near my work and paid cash. Charming, both of them. I got about £20 less on the second listing, but it was worth it to meet such a nice couple - made the transaction a pleasure. He was late for the meeting, as he had been driving a Wolf on Salisbury Plain but it had broken down and he had to make the journey in his own 90. There was plenty to talk about.

Worked out well in the end.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Thats how I have my one neg but anyone who looks at the feedbacks and followups left directly relating to this can only see that he is the plonker. A yank (odd that...) won a camera I had for sale, nicely and carefully described with several pictures. After he won he didn't want it as he thought it was a digital camera, eh? The sale included a couple of rolls of film and the word "film" was mentioned 5 times in the description...

I think too many people put to much credance onto that 100% record. If someone sells a reasonable amount and has a 100% +ve of more than a couple of hundred FBs it makes me suspicious. There are so many idiots on eBay how come he hasn't come across at least one? May be they have but haven't the guts to say when they have been had, equating to not being 100% honest. They'd rather be "economical with the truth" rather than get a neg which, IMHO, doesn't really matter.

Or not leave FB at all, though that may depend on if you are the buyer or the seller. As a buyer I have choosen not to leave FB for a sale that didn't proceed because the "as new" item was anything but when I went to collect. eBay is heavly biased to the seller in these situations, I'd have been the one with the black mark not the seller even though he had blantently misdescribed the item both in the auction and in email. I've learn't though if that happens again I'll be taking date/time stamped photos...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's true. Some of my other FBs are superb, almost embarrassing, so anyone reading seriously should get the wider picture. Plus I took up eBay's offer of replies and reply responses to the neg FB, so the whole story is there if anyone cares to read it. Still niggles a bit though.

Mine was a Californian. Different, I'm told.

Ah, but you didn't phone him personally and ask him if he was sure he wanted a film camera, as yours was not a digital like so many people want these days. You were lazy, what did you expect?

:-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Same guy is currently bidding on another disco. go figure.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

In message , Tim Hobbs writes

Couldn't agree more - I had a V8 for a short while, beautiful car.

Reply to
hugh

On or around Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:37:52 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

hmmmm. If that's the case, I'm going to be considerably less sympathetic.

however. The claimed change of circumstances is sudden and major. I'll look into it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:25:04 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

I generally look at the comments, at least some.

If someone has 227 positives all saying "yeah, great ebayer, no problems" and one negative (or even 2), then, well, shit happens. It's generally something stupid, like bidding on a UK item from the states. Mind, on my items as most others, the location is quite clear. This is why I was a bit wary of the buyer for my disco, who is after all in Argyllshire.

Another point I've just thought - not only is the buyer contracted to buy the item, but the seller is contracted to sell it. So now, I have a buyer who will, I hope, pay up, but in the mean time, I can't offer it to anyone else. If one of you lot (for example) suddenly fancied buying it, I'd not legitimately be able to sell it as I've put on the auction "completion in 10 days", and until that time, if the original buyer comes up with the pennies, I'm obliged to sell it and moreover, if I've already sold it elsewhere, *I* would be liable.

nemmind, we shall see what the next few days bring.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have 110 feedbacks which shows as 100% + but I know I've had a couple of negatives in the past, both due to utter eejits, perhaps it ignores older onces in the %?

Usually if there are a couple of negatives in the last few months I look them up and see what it was and what the problem was.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

On or around Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:27:40 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

and have done so: the guy bidding elsewhere is not the winner of mine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles