Anyone seen this yet? Gresham found guilty

I'm not debating the rights and wrongs, but reading the later part it seems to me like they just wanted to make an example of him.

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

Before I make any kind of descision, i need more facts. What has he bodged? Why did the MOT bloke get away with it if he missed it in the same state?

But, i feel the poor family have sufferred more than enough for all this s**te.

Reply to
Nige

Wot no **GINGE**?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

From the coverage it's been given, I suspect the hand of the Anti-4x4 brigade. I doubt very much that the same emphasis would have made it to the reports if he'd been driving a modified Golf. Wait for the inevitible rublings and attempts to ban people modifying thier 4x4's

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Is the DVD of the tests about anyplace?

Reply to
JacobH

Doesn't seem likely at all, that's all out of fashion now.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

"Matt M" wrote

He called himself a mechanic yet had a seriously deficient vehicle and I think that is more likely the reason he was prosecuted.

Info on him...

complete report I have seenis...

Bob Hobden

Just wait for the EU to stop anyone working on their own vehicle .....

Reply to
Dougal

complete report I have seenis...

Where you will read: "Mr Spencer told the jury that the brake pedals were worn and that, as a result, the brake pedal had to be pressed ?pretty much down to the floor? before it began to stop the car. "

I trust that is a journalistic c*ck-up not what was 'sold' to the jury. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Reply to
Dougal

>> most complete report I have seen >>

is...

>> Hobden

One assumes that Mr Gresham had competent council who, if this was actually said, promptly challenged it.

Reply to
William Black

most complete report I have seen>

is...

Hobden

Well, lets hoping his driving was better than your linking.

Reply to
Nige

In message , Matt M writes

I keep wondering if the bloody bracket might have broken when they hauled it out of the river... A landy with raised suspension is quite capable of throwing itself off the road without a bracket breaking tbh.....

Reply to
mark

Aargh! The EU is coming to get us! Help me mummy!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I suspect there has been a fair bit of editing and journalistic simplification going on. Only the phrase "pretty much down to the floor" is a verbatim quote from Mr Spencer. I can imagine Mr Spencer spending quite a while explaining how brakes work, the affects the different sized front calipers had (along with the testing evidence on DVD), the affects of wear within the system and where typical Land Rover brakes start to operate in relation to pedal travel. Probably quite an education on braking systems for many of the jury...

As for the bracket breaking to cause the accident or later during or in recovery we don't know what the witnesses saw. Maybe they heard it break, and/or saw the axle flailing about partly detached as the car tumbled into the river. Not to mention a neighbour had repeatedly seen Gresham repairing the loose rear axle.

What sentance he gets will be interesting. I'm not sure he needs to be locked up unless there is information in the reports requested by the Judge that as a "mechanic" he has been doing similar botch jobs on other peoples motors, paid or unpaid.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think that many who have read the phrase "brake pedals were worn" have immediately assumed it meant the bit your foot pushes on. What would be the result of massive wear of the pedal pivot or clevis pin areas?

Reply to
Kevin Poole

Excepting that is not what it said. Brake pedals, apparently plural? how many brake pedals did this vehicle have?

Reply to
JacobH

> most complete report I have seen>>

is...

> Hobden

Well I've been on the net for years and it looked fine when I sent it all so what happened I have no idea.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

> most complete report I have seen >

is...

> Hobden

I'll try again...

Lets see if that works.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

"JacobH" wrote

I think that may be a typing mistake, probably meant to be "brake pads" not pedals.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

That's how I read it as well...

Reply to