Are these number plates legal?

Are these number plates legal? (both link to same thing).

?ViewItem&item=2462399847&category=31348

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I very much doubt it. The "For Show use only" in the auction is a hint, I think. To be legal they have to be the right size, use the right font, have the right spacing, and lots of other stuff. For modern motors they also have to have been made by an approved dealer.

In practice, however, you might get away with it. The front plate on my

110 has been cut down so it's the same height as the front bumper so I can attach it there and not smash it so easily. Never had any trouble from plod, as it's still perfectly legible and so they're not bothered really.
Reply to
Paul Everett

you may find this useful:

Richard

|| Are these number plates legal? || (both link to same thing). ||

|| || -- || Regards. || Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) || ___________________________________________________________ || "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice. ||
mrniceATmrnice.me.uk ||
|| 1984 110 CSW 2.5(na)D|| ___________________________________________________________ The fact that the seller states "For Show Use Only" indicates that he is fully aware they are not road legal. All plates now must use the "official" font and (I think) be purchased from a registered supplier, with the supplier's postcode and ID visible. I believe the only exception is pre-1965 vehicles which can still use the black and silver plates.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I would say that as long as they are of "about" the right size and LOOK right , i.e.. use the right sort of font, and are reflective, you'd be ok with them, The "show use only" is most likely the seller covering his arse, as they are not "exactly" to spec, and he's probably not a registered manufacturer.

Reply to
SMURF

On or around Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:49:07 -0000, "SMURF" enlightened us thusly:

mind, I don't know why they can't do a "legal" font and spacing job as well, would be very handy.

all new plates made up for white-and-yellow period motors (post-71 I think) now have to use the official font and the correct spacing. anything else isn't legal, although it IS still legal to carry on using old ones that are already on the vehicle, providing they're sound.

after sept 2001 (IIRC) they all have to conform regardless, and be made by a registered number-plate-bloke.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The plate shown on the picture on the LR is legal as far as I can see, but as they are supplying online they do not conform to the appropriate document check, so are therefore technically illegal. I cant see you having any problems if you put on on your car though.

Reply to
SimonJ

Twas Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:02:05 +0000 when Mr.Nice. put finger to keyboard producing:

I didn't spot the "for show use only".

While I'm on number plates, if I was to fix a number plate to the vent flap, a fully legal and proper number plate, whan happens when it's pointing a little more skyward when the vent is fully open? it would be harder to read surely?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Mon, 1 Mar 2004 08:37:14 +0000 (UTC), "SimonJ" enlightened us thusly:

the one shown would be legal if it was already there, but doesn't look like standard font, so wouldn't be legal to supply new now, from my reading of the rules.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:02:04 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

supposed to be vertical or near-vertical.

On the 110, there's a bit of the front panel below the grille which is suitable for fitting the numberplate to, which protects it much better than putting it on the bumper.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The message from "SimonJ" contains these words:

Fun thing about this law is that it doesn't apply to Scotland, so if you want the plates without going to all the document fuss, come up here to get them done.

Reply to
Graeme Lornie

On or around Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:37:59 GMT, Graeme Lornie enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. what, you just go in and buy 'em?

interesting.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It still doesn't apply to plates made purely for "show" purposes in England. However, "show use only" plates are not intended for use on the road.

It's called a Loophole.

Alex

Reply to
Alex