Ashes to ashes, Landie to rust.

I've been thinking that I need some advice on the next stage with this

1992 Defender. The chassis seems OK, but the plan is to get the rear cross member and the two top corners under the windscreen replaced sometime in the first half of this year.

Meanwhile there are various areas that really need some rust treatment and repainting. These areas include the bottoms of the doors, some outriggers and the inside of the chassis.

Is there any opinion on the best treatment. I know of Owatrol, Kurust, Dinitrol (not sure if this still exists), Waxoyl and Jenolite.

Am I right to assume that trying to mist Waxoyl into the inside of the chassis members is the only approach for this area? I can probably slap some black gunge onto the outside. I did this outside gunge on the last

110, but the chassis rotted from the inside.

What about the bottoms of the doors? I can do repairs with the epoxy + fibreglass that I use on the boat and can overpaint with epoxy primer paint, but I'm conscious that I need to attack the aluminium/steel decay and the fact that there is probably a lot of shock created movement between metals in the doors. I'm not sure I can get at and grind away all the rust on the inside of the doors.

Kurust seems to need washing off with water. Would this ever dry? Owatrol seems like a sort of oil. Would paint work over this, especially

2-pack epoxy? Would Owatrol mix with this paint, or would any rust priming paint work and creep enough to deal with the bi-metallic corrosion? Does vinegar really stop aluminium corrosion?

Searches of the internet don't seem to provide much real advice. Has this been discussed here? Is there any reliable advice anywhere that would help a total amateur who really dislikes lying under cars?

So many questions, so little time.

Reply to
Bill

I've always used a wax treatment made by Valvoline and sprayed it in/on hot but Batoyle make a good one in two grades, one is thin, pale and creamy like Waxoyl and the other is more like the consistency of the one shot grease for the swivels and brown and it really does protect well. It's called Ferrotect and you can thin it down with paraffin etc and chuck it in the door bottoms

*after* you've painted them. If you want some Dinitrol I've just found three unopened tins whilst cleaning out a shed, it must have been there for thirty-odd years.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Owatrol is like an oil as it runs into all the little nooks and crannies but it's also more like a lacquer as it eventually dries. Good stuff, although a bit difficult to get hold of in the UK, available in the Hypermarket in France, also make a good sealer for painting over. Lovely stuff. I found Waxoyl good for spraying inside the chassis box sections if it's "watered down" with some turps and you use one of their spray lances (plastic tubing and pump thingies). Dinitrol (I forget the number) changes the rust to an organic compound which stops further rust, worked very well for me, looks like milk but the rust goes black by the next day. Once it's opened it goes off quickly so you need to do everything you want to ASAP, if you understand what I mean, and never dip the paint brush into the can, tip some out into another container. It can also be difficult to buy but you can usually find your local agent through Yellow Pages.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

The Dinitrol I've had for about 30 years is still sloshing about in the cans and they are full so it can't go off that quick, mind you, it's probably a different formula now, I might have to get a licence to dispose of it. :-)

Oh, and the good stuff by Valvoline is called Tectyl, just remembered.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

In message , Oily writes

There seem to be some places on the net advertising Dinitrol. The reason I remember it is that my father treated the '64 A40 with it in '64 and last time I saw it under the rubbish in the garage here it still seemed fine.

Thanks, all, for the useful info. I think now all I have to do is wait for warmer weather and hope the rain stays away long enough to attack it with whatever is easiest to get and easiest to understand..

Reply to
Bill

Should you wish to investigate Owatrol further:

Thomas Rathbone Sales Manager Igoe International Ltd - Owatrol

Email:- snipped-for-privacy@owatrol.clara.co.uk Mobile:- +44 (0)7813 832352

This info. is about 2 years old - I've no idea if he/they are still there.

Igoe are based in Dublin. The website is live and mentions Owatrol:

Igoe International (Ireland)

144 Dublin Industrial Estate Glasnevin, Dublin 11 Ireland

Telephone: 353-1-8302599 / 353-1-8302226 / 353-1-8302249 Fax: 353-1-8302921 Email: snipped-for-privacy@igoe.ie

Reply to
Dougal

Take a look at Frost

They do dinitrol and some other antirust stuff

Reply to
Grant Jump