Attn Badger

Re 4.6 block cracking, what would the cost be to top-hat liner a block? Also I have read that Rover V8s should be run at around 80deg.C. That seems impossible to achieve on a P38a seeing as the thermostat is a

96deg one & is sealed. Would it be possible to make an ally thermostat housing to replace the std plastic one & allow a replacement thermostat to be fitted?

Cheers, Chris.

Reply to
chris

Top-hat linered blocks are around £950 exchange, for the bare block only! They ain't cheap, any that are cheaper I wouldn't risk using 'cos they're cheaper for a reason!! There are certain firms that produce an excellent product, others that I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole (having been stung by a company in Devon once already). As for thermostats, it's not a std 'stat, it works by comparison of temps on the inlet, outlet and re-circ lines. As far as I know there is no alternative, as yet. Not because of the housing manufacturing requirementas, but the availability ofthe 'stat itself. Most P38 (and Disco II) engines seem to run at around 92/93 degrees, 96 is the fully-open temp, not the opening point. An 82 degree 'stat is whaat I recommend for earlier engines, but the later management systems, Motronic and Gems, might see this as an engine not at working temp and alter the fuelling un-necessarily, not a good thing. My own 110 (4.7 top-hat linered, thor inlet with re-mapped hybrid

14cux hotwire efi system) runs at 79 degrees (idle) and 86 degrees at a steady 70mph, with an 82 degree 'stat. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Badger Perhaps it's time to come up with an alternative?

Cheers, Chris.

Reply to
chris

requirementas,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Badger Perhaps it's time to come up with an alternative?

I did with my own engine, I modified the front face of the inlet manifold and did away with the 90 degree metal pipe from the P38, fitting a "normal" thermostat and standard housing. No space to do the same on a std p38 however, due to clearance issues with the rest of the gubbins that's bolted to the front of the engine. (Mine has a classic style front timing cover etc.) Badger.

Reply to
Badger