Auto box questions... again.

Right, it's all in and it works, but not as I'd like it to.

Transmission temp light comes on once it's been driven for a mile or so, but the fluid isn't very hot at all, so I don't know what's going on there. It did the same with the old box. I've flushed the oil cooler etc, but I'm not sure about the temp sender on the cooler. I had to replace the cooler when I got the car and the temp light has played silly buggers ever since. Goes off if I'm doing 60 or so and stays off until I go slower.

This box seems to take forever to shift into top gear, the box has been sitting in my garage for months waiting for me to fit it - and it was

90% drained while it was sitting. Is it likely to be something sticking which will free off (hopefully) or do I have to start faffing about? Shift from 1-2 is smoothish, 2-3 not as smooth, 3-4 not very smooth but they all seem to be getting better. Old box would shift into top at 44 mph, this one seems to wait until I'm doing 50-55 mph. Kickdown cable is the one off the old box, adjusted to it starts to pull slightly as soon the throttle linkage moves - I think this is how it was adjusted on the old box, but I can't remember.

I can't work out what the "crimp" adjustment is.

Reply to
Pete M

Right, bad form an all that, but I've just read the "Installation" thing on the Ashcroft Transmissions site and it says "looser the kick down cable the earlier and softer the shifts, tighter the cable later and harsher shifts" so I'm going to go and slacken off the cable a couple of turns.

Will report back...

Reply to
Pete M

It's also possible that the late "shift" to 4th isn't actually the shift to

4th but the torque converter clutch locking up. Very early boxes on the first of the 3.5 efi rangies locked up at roughly 42mph, all later boxes didn't lock-up until 50/52mph. This mod was done to prevent resonant vibrations within the torque converter. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

It's an June '87 'box. Apparantly rebuilt in '99. Mint inside, really mega nice and clean, very quiet and the remaining oil in it was spotless :-)

I'm hoping it's just the kickdown adjustment now. Am I hoping too much?

Reply to
Pete M

Just pondering - is it possible to change the earlier boxes from the ~42mph lock up to the later ~52mph lock up without mega-faff?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yep, either replace the whole valve block with a later one - or remove valve block and fit later springs to converter lock valve and converter hysteresis valve, but only if the early valve block is a later-type with the converter oil temp inhibit valve as well. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Adjusted the kickdown cable up today, changes exactly where an '87 is meant to, changes are smooth and clean, lock up is around 45 mph (indicated). All is good with the world, it was almost worth all the hassle :-)

Reply to
Pete M

Only until the turbo boost comes in and you blow this one as well, lol. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

hehehe

Reply to
Nige

I've backed the boost down to 5psi for now. Should limit it to around

250 bhp, 300 lb ft. I've also backed off my right foot....
Reply to
Pete M

would a manual box be a better bet?

Reply to
jOn

Quite possibly, but as I managed to find the box that's now in the Rangie for the princely sum of £4.99 on ebay, I fitted that.

Next box will be either a torqueflite or a manual, but I'm hoping this one might last for a while. Utter pig to change.

Reply to
Pete M