auto or manual

Hi all I have a 300 tdi disco manual and am thinking of changing to a newer Td5 model. We use the disco for towing our caravan which weighs in at 1300 kg ,the question is which would be best auto or manul gearbox ? I have been told the auto has more power is this right?

Any thoughts?

Thanks Graham

Reply to
graham jones

On or around Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:59:17 GMT, "graham jones" enlightened us thusly:

if so it's because it needs it... diesel autos are not the happiest of bunnies, from what I can tell, although the TD5 has the potential to be better than the TDi.

The auto box is a good strong unit, though, generally, although they can fail, and autos make a lot of sense for towing, less chance of being stuck in the wrong gear, and if you are, you apply boot to loud pedal and it changes down. Actually, I like autos to drive in general driving, but you do want enough grunt available.

Anyone got power/torque figures for TD5 autos to hand?

V8 on gas, that's what you want - ask Badger... Mind, I'm biased, and so's he...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Who? What? Me? Oh, okay then!

Diesel + Auto + Towing + Slight hill = Lethargic! V8 + LPG + Auto = What hill, I never noticed!

Badger. ;-)

Reply to
Badger

In message , Austin Shackles writes