Auto TX fluid in a Manual Box

My local mechanic reckons that my LT77 box would operate more smoothly with Auto TX fluid instead of EP9. Given that this is the same guy who fitted my springs the wrong way round is he talking bo**ocks or is it a good move?

Reply to
Andy

Mines got ATF in it, thats what its suposed to have. So at least they know what oil goes in it even if they cant get the springs right.

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn

Wasn't that recommendation superceded?

I've got this text hanging around from somewhere;

Gearbox: 3 litres of ATF Dextron IID, better is MTF used in most Rover gearboxes. In a pinch try oil for ford gearboxes MT75. Gearbox oil was changed, Landrover update reads that it should now be Texaco MTF94 or Castrol SMX-S from VIN WA13113 onwards. It's a honey/orange colour.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I think it's meant to be ATF mate, I'll check.

Reply to
Nige

Autodata lists Dextron II ATF as the fluid to use.

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Sat, 05 Apr 2008 18:38:52 +0100, Pete M enlightened us thusly:

You can also use fully-synth MT75 I think. I've had both in the manual boxes, about the only thing you can say about the 75 is that it's juts a tad balky on the shift when it's stone cold on a frosty morning. Otherwise, it's fine.

EP90 or similar in the main box on the LT77 or R380 is a bad move, much too thick.

The LT230 T-boxes still run on EP90 though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

EP90 is a bad move - too thick and could damage the pump. ATF will keep the box squeaky clean but it's not the best for the syncros, even though it's the Land Rover recommended oil.

Our workshop uses Castrol VMX75-80, which is a light gear oil - definitely can feel the difference in the shift. Downside is that the box will look "dirtier" when you pull it down (there's not as much detergents in the VMX, I guess).

cheers, Craig.

Reply to
Craig

A farmer/machinery dealer called Huw posted extensively on this subject in this group.

The bit I took was that farm tractor oil universal had all the right properties and ordinary ATF had too little lubricity.

Mind I don't have the lt77.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

"AJH" wrote................

The only problems that I've seen with using EP90 in LT77s is that the little plastic oil pump which feeds oil through the mainshaft can't cope with the weight of the oil and starves the input shaft bearing which in turn knackers the box. Maybe there are oils more suited to the job than ATF but it seems the essential point is to use a thinner, lighter oil and I've never had any trouble using ATF in these boxes but maybe Land Rover's recommendations due to improvements in oil technology dictate a change.

Oily

Reply to
Oily

Dead right, I wasn't meaning to imply ep90 was any good and I am aware of the pump failing with high viscosity oil. The tractor oil universal is a thin oil with detergent properties designed for running in tractor gearboxes (as opposed to final drives but it does them also). These gearboxes have synchro, hydraulic pumps and oil immersed clutches, so it is designed to cope with lots of needs.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I'll go allong with that