Autobox stuck in 1st gear (disco 200Tdi, Pantelis)

People Hi,

I guess after so many years and posting about the good results I have got from the additive used on my autobox after the problem with the oxidised ATF back in 2001 the autobox decided to ask for some money.

It has been about a week now that it was delaying to start moving the car ahead or to reverse. It usually required about 15 seconds on idle when the car was cold but was starting immediately when the car was restarted after getting warm. This symptom was also followed with a delay into changing from first to second gear but everything was OK after a while. The first pickup was also a bit sluggish but everything (non engagement of forward or reverse gear, reluctance to change from first to second) was OK as soon as the gearbox oil was warm.

Then yesterday it decided to get stuck into first gear. No gearchange from

1st to 2nd. Nothing happens even if the engine is revved up to 4500 rpm. Nothing happens if the selector is moved from 1st to 2nd. Nothing happens if the gearbox is left to D with the transfer box in neutral until the engine and gearbox oil is warm enough and then try to move the car with high gears in the tbox and taking it for a drive.

I guess the governor valve must be stuck with debris that must have clogged it following the past problems with the oxidised ATF and after cleaning everything with fresh ATF and the additive in the past.

This is the update.

I will be very much interested and obliged to have your input.

I did a search for repairers and sources of spare parts and found these suppliers and repairers in the UK

Has anybody cooperate with them in the past or have another source to recommend? I do not wish to have a remanufactured unit but just to find a good source of spare parts since I would like to repair the autobox locally (in Greece)

Until the unit is repaired would you recommend that I install an autobox from a 3.9 V8 engine that I have lying around in my spare parts collection right now?

Take care and thanks for the input Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos